Stihl 044 reparable?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The white aluminum, either soda blast it or use atf+dishsoap and let it sit. Stay out of the inside of the cylinder unless you want to replace it.

The saw is in great shape considering where it was and how long it was sitting there. I've saw worse saws from sitting in peoples garden sheds.

Get the euro IPL from Germany for your stihl, numbers will all be there. I disagree with the OEM plastics, unless your trying to sell the saw.

Once you get through a project like this, you'll be ready for anything. And yes, it's worth undertaking.
The crankshaft piston rod bearing is my biggest concern, as it's steel and I've never replaced one.
I'd use China parts for the project and if the saw comes to life, swap in OEM parts as you collect them.
I'd put the saw parts into hot soapy water for a day, then hose them off to get the old saw goo off the parts.
Next , go after the remaining deposits with compressed air, then hot air dry them.
Then put your favorite penetrating oil down the spark plug opening, and hopefully you can get some into the crankshaft cavity after removing the carb.
If not, see if you can inject some through the impulse line port or after removing one of the crank shaft seals.
Let it sit for a couple days, then see if you can move the position of the piston by turning the flywheel.
If not, let it set a few more days and if it is still frozen, pull the 4 T27 cylinder bolts and see if you can "armstrong" the cylinder off of the crankcase.

I wish you the best with your project. Please keep us posted!

Since then it has been kept in a box waiting for someone brave to try to give it back the soul it deserves
This is your main issue. Any engine that goes for a swim must be cleaned up and either disassembled or brought back to running immediately after it is removed from the water. An engine can sit in freshwater in more or less "suspended animation" for days to weeks but 24 hours of oxygen on wet parts is very harmful. Just a FYI in case anyone reading this comes across a flooded engine of any kind. If the water in the engine is clear you are good to go. If it is gritty you need to disassemble.

Once you get through a project like this, you'll be ready for anything. And yes, it's worth undertaking.
The crankshaft piston rod bearing is my biggest concern, as it's steel and I've never replaced one.
I'd use China parts for the project and if the saw comes to life, swap in OEM parts as you collect them.
I'd put the saw parts into hot soapy water for a day, then hose them off to get the old saw goo off the parts.
Next , go after the remaining deposits with compressed air, then hot air dry them.
Then put your favorite penetrating oil down the spark plug opening, and hopefully you can get some into the crankshaft cavity after removing the carb.
If not, see if you can inject some through the impulse line port or after removing one of the crank shaft seals.
Let it sit for a couple days, then see if you can move the position of the piston by turning the flywheel.
If not, let it set a few more days and if it is still frozen, pull the 4 T27 cylinder bolts and see if you can "armstrong" the cylinder off of the crankcase.

Thanks for the good tips ;)

I wish you the best with your project. Please keep us posted!

This is your main issue. Any engine that goes for a swim must be cleaned up and either disassembled or brought back to running immediately after it is removed from the water. An engine can sit in freshwater in more or less "suspended animation" for days to weeks but 24 hours of oxygen on wet parts is very harmful. Just a FYI in case anyone reading this comes across a flooded engine of any kind. If the water in the engine is clear you are good to go. If it is gritty you need to disassemble.

The chainsaw smells really bad .. mixture of gasoline, oil and water from the well .......
Now I will treat it well!! Some Channel over it :lol:

The chainsaw smells really bad .. mixture of gasoline, oil and water from the well .......
Now I will treat it well!! Some Channel over it :lol:

Id imaginge the homeowner was getting a healthy dose of nutrients from his water well for a while(gasoline, oil)

Updates..20200209_155149.jpg

Attachments

• 20200209_151446.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20200209_151502.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 20200209_155933.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
And as soon as you can, measure the width of that wrist pin. I'm curious if a 10mm made it all the way to that serial # here in europe.
I've been to Portugal a fair few times now - Lisboa, Lagos, Madeira, etc etc. Love it there.
Good luck!
https://pbase.com/wyk/portugal
Portugal is fantastic !! Good scenery, time, food :) I live in Coimbra, city of students ... with a lot of history and beautiful places to visit. If you ever get lost here, I will be happy to receive you. best regards

its looking like a brand new already.. its well worth rebuilding, put good parts in that saw and it will out live you brother LOL.. im subscribing to this one, i loovvveeeee seeing stihl saws come back from the absolute worst a human can throw at them,im torn between finding an 044 or an 046 to rebuild. im secure enough as a man to saw IM DIGGIN YOUR SAW

its looking like a brand new already.. its well worth rebuilding, put good parts in that saw and it will out live you brother LOL.. im subscribing to this one, i loovvveeeee seeing stihl saws come back from the absolute worst a human can throw at them,im torn between finding an 044 or an 046 to rebuild. im secure enough as a man to saw IM DIGGIN YOUR SAW
Depends what your cutting. Softwood the 044 would be fine, hardwood the 046 would be a bit more comfortable (at the same trunk size).

Where you are may determine which are more commonly found, they seem to have their own regional pockets where they were preferred.

Cant go wrong with either one....where ya been 1hander aint seen u on in a while...and its ok you can come out of the closet around us.

Depends what your cutting. Softwood the 044 would be fine, hardwood the 046 would be a bit more comfortable (at the same trunk size).

Where you are may determine which are more commonly found, they seem to have their own regional pockets where they were preferred.
well im not really going to be working it like that saw should be worked.. after my father moved away from the 08s platform it was the 046, i love the 08s most then i worked a buddys 046 with a big bore and porting for a while and that thing was a beast... everyone else i worked with used 046 as well, it was kind of a legend in the area, im not sure about how the rest of the world feels about the 046 though... but i dont wanna jack this gentlemans thread any further LOL

well im not really going to be working it like that saw should be worked.. after my father moved away from the 08s platform it was the 046, i love the 08s most then i worked a buddys 046 with a big bore and porting for a while and that thing was a beast... everyone else i worked with used 046 as well, it was kind of a legend in the area, im not sure about how the rest of the world feels about the 046 though... but i dont wanna jack this gentlemans thread any further LOL
046 is a beast. My fave saw i have. Currently running 25" w 8tooth rim
20200206_113102.jpg

All the plastic parts are brittle, many of them have to be new.
This weekend will disassemble all parts to the crankcase.
The carb is stuck, the muffer is full of rust, chain "glued" to the all rusted blade :dumb2:
Really good challenge!!

Soak it in a tub full of molasses, that stuff eats away at the rust, most agricultural feed stores have it in bulk.

Hmm, pages didnt show up before, now I see there are many pages of replies, I see its too late for previous advice.

Great rebuild, I found an old pipe spanner at the bottom of my well when we de silted it last year, along with an eclectic mix of items.

But no chainsaws.

Back