ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Stihl 044 serial number id

Discussion in 'Arborist 101' started by Stihlhard@it, May 23, 2017.

1. Stihlhard@it

Stihlhard@it New Member

can someone help me out with I'd of my stihl 044 saws so I tell what year and whether they are 10 or 12mm pins. The mote info I can get from the serial numbers the better

I have noticed a few differences between the saws but hoping they are both 10mm. Is there other performance differences between my 2 saws?

Thanks guy. Happy sawing!!

2. jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom It was a beautiful day!

3. axe2fall

axe2fall Hound runner

4. Stihlhard@it

Stihlhard@it New Member

Great. Thanks for the info guys. I will just assume for now that I have the 10mm version.

Any ideas on any other performance differences between my 2 saws? They have some differences cosmetically from the outside

The earlier model pulls like a train. I love it. Other saws runs ok but I suspect it has crook crank seals as it is very inconsistent especially after its ran for a few minutes

5. axe2fall

axe2fall Hound runner

They are both great saws. I can't really tell any difference in the two with all else being equal.
    I wouldn't run the saw until you fix the problem. If it's sucking air, it will run lean on fuel and you could cook the piston

6. Stihlhard@it

Stihlhard@it New Member

Thanks mate

I'm in the process of pulling the saw down now. I have a vac/pressure system at work that I made to leak test sterile air filters after they are replaced. I am going to borrow it for the weekend and give it a try on the saw

7. Jon953c

Jon953c New Member

New to the site but I was wondering if someone could look up a serial number the guy thinks it’s a 044 serial#141629569 guy next to the lot I’m clearing wanted a couple buckets of dirt so we traded and was wondering if the saw was a contender for the big bore kit the guy run straight gas in it so it dosent run I think I got the better of the trade either way any help would be helpful