Stihl 044 with 28" bar for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have this saw and the Alaska mill already and would like to mill some Red Oak logs I have and maybe some other larger tress that are on the property too like a big White Pine and maybe some White Cedar
I want some milling chain and saw some on a Canadian site.
Says I need 3/8 pitch, 050 gauge chain and 91 drive links.
I have the option of buying a chain already looped for the 28" bar for 50 cents a drive link or buying a spool of 25 feet of ripping chain for about $211 CAD.
So I guess I can make about 8 chains for the 28" bar from a spool roll or I can buy about 5 chains already looped for about the same cost.
I would need a chain breaker, fastener and some links if I get the spool.
What would you all do?
Based on the title I'd be getting a new saw for milling personally, maybe you could find one that came with the chains you're looking for.

Based on the title I'd be getting a new saw for milling personally, maybe you could find one that came with the chains you're looking for.
No I won't be getting a new saw to mill with.
First off I don't have $2000 for a new MS880 or even $1600 for a new MS660.
No, I'll use my 71cc 044 to mill some smaller logs with.
It's the experienced CSM milling guys that I wanted advise from about ripping chain.

No I won't be getting a new saw to mill with.
First off I don't have $2000 for a new MS880 or even $1600 for a new MS660.
No, I'll use my 71cc 044 to mill some smaller logs with.
It's the experienced CSM milling guys that I wanted advise from about ripping chain.
Your initial question was already answered, and seems to be an open to advice sort of a thread.
Besides I wouldn't buy a 1600-2000k saw myself for milling unless it was something I was already doing and it was profitable for me, and that isn't what I was promoting. I'm more the type of guy to promote finding a used 394/395 for 4-600 or since you already have a stihl a 660 for 5-700.
So now the thread has changed to you getting advice on chain, great. Are you insinuating I'm not qualified to give any advice on that topic?
As stated previously get a different saw for it, but if not then leeroys advice about square or an LP setup would be less work for the powerhead you currently have.

E
Your initial question was already answered, and seems to be an open to advice sort of a thread.
Besides I wouldn't buy a 1600-2000k saw myself for milling unless it was something I was already doing and it was profitable for me, and that isn't what I was promoting. I'm more the type of guy to promote finding a used 394/395 for 4-600 or since you already have a stihl a 660 for 5-700.
So now the thread has changed to you getting advice on chain, great. Are you insinuating I'm not qualified to give any advice on that topic?
As stated previously get a different saw for it, but if not then leeroys advice about square or an LP setup would be less work for the powerhead you currently have.
Exactly

Thanks for all the replies fellas.
Walked into my local Stihl dealer the other day to price Stihl RS ripping chain at 10* angle and saw that it was much cheaper there so I bought one 28" loop from them for 37 cents a drive link.
I may go back to get another loop.
They've never steered me wrong yet.
Let the milling begin.

Latest posts

Back