Stihl 044 with 28" bar for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have this saw and the Alaska mill already and would like to mill some Red Oak logs I have and maybe some other larger tress that are on the property too like a big White Pine and maybe some White Cedar
I want some milling chain and saw some on a Canadian site.
Says I need 3/8 pitch, 050 gauge chain and 91 drive links.
I have the option of buying a chain already looped for the 28" bar for 50 cents a drive link or buying a spool of 25 feet of ripping chain for about $211 CAD.
So I guess I can make about 8 chains for the 28" bar from a spool roll or I can buy about 5 chains already looped for about the same cost.
I would need a chain breaker, fastener and some links if I get the spool.
What would you all do?

Buy the premade. Don't really save money spinning your own usually. Just convenient if you need some not on the local shelf sizes and don't feel like ordering them when needed and can find a decent price on a hundred foot roll.

Have this saw and the Alaska mill already and would like to mill some Red Oak logs I have and maybe some other larger tress that are on the property too like a big White Pine and maybe some White Cedar
I want some milling chain and saw some on a Canadian site.
Says I need 3/8 pitch, 050 gauge chain and 91 drive links.
I have the option of buying a chain already looped for the 28" bar for 50 cents a drive link or buying a spool of 25 feet of ripping chain for about $211 CAD.
So I guess I can make about 8 chains for the 28" bar from a spool roll or I can buy about 5 chains already looped for about the same cost.
I would need a chain breaker, fastener and some links if I get the spool.
What would you all do?
Curious why you need 5 loops. Get 2, use one and sharpen the other then swap them back and forth.

Is that for Stihl chain? Sounds expensive even in Canadian dollars. Have you priced Oregon or Archer chain?
No
Haven't priced any other ripping chain yet.
I have a local Stihl dealer at my Farm store in town here so I'll contact him to see the brands and price of his ripping chains as well.

Just looked up the Stihl 63 PMX milling chain at Bailey's and its .67 cents US a drive link.

Holy $hit!

The greedy basturds jacked the prices up again. Baileys is in cahoots with the Logosol monoploy on 63PMX chain in North America.

Before they went out of business, Left Coast Supplies had 24" loops 84dl of 63PMX for ~$22 USD. I should have bought a few rolls back then

Holy $hit!

The greedy basturds jacked the prices up again. Baileys is in cahoots with the Logosol monoploy on 63PMX chain in North America.

Before they went out of business, Left Coast Supplies had 24" loops 84dl of 63PMX for ~$22 USD. I should have bought a few rolls back then
Yeah but.... maybe that’s why they went out of business.
......Their bar prices were so low .,... it made one wonder what was wrong with them.
Kudos to them for lo prices but they did not survive:(

Yeah but.... maybe that’s why they went out of business.
......Their bar prices were so low .,... it made one wonder what was wrong with them.
Kudos to them for lo prices but they did not survive:(

I got a stihl mount 3003 picco 0.050 25" bar (GB), 2 picco 63PMX chains 84 dl for $75 USD, delivered.

Feeckers ,at Logosol or Baileys, charge almost that for ONE chain

They got $crewed for being hon$et.

Think about when you go to, Bailey$ or Logo$ol
Screwed?... Maybe.
I don't know what happened to them.
Traditionally companies that don't charge enough do go out of business... That was my point.
Baileys charges maybe too much. Left Coast maybe not enough.
The Goldilocks price point in this business is not something I will claim to know about.
I just wish Left coast was still around.

Screwed?... Maybe.
I don't know what happened to them.
Traditionally companies that don't charge enough do go out of business... That was my point.
Baileys charges maybe too much. Left Coast maybe not enough.
The Goldilocks price point in this business is not something I will claim to know about.
I just wish Left coast was still around.

I don't think it was about their prices. They were in a lawsuit with Lucas Mill for a few years before they closed down. My money is on that being a contributing factor.

If anyone has any tips on where to find cheaper milling chain (without having to grind down cross cut stuff) I'm all ears.
I have this brand new Alaska Mill and 28" Stihl bar so I may as well put them to work.
I'll be milling Red Oak logs first.
Also have some Trembling Aspen to mill for boards for a focal wall in my basement where all my fishing rods will be mounted.
I have a ton of Musky rods that have to be hung horizontal (too long for vertical) so I figured why not make a nice plank wall for them.
In the meantime, I'll be going over some of BobL's milling tips and read up on how to begin the process and do and don'ts.
Thanks for the help, love this group.

Not sure if you want to give square filing a try, but here is my opinion:
I use semi skip square filed chain on my work saws and could never get round chain to rip big hardwood limbs as smooth and fast as square. So it made sense to use it.
I've tried the Granberg ripping chain, but could not get good results.
Seems like some folks pick up square filing easily, others not as quick.
Like any chain square is not good new and needs filing, and of course depth gauges lowered.
It may be worth getting a loop or two, using it for cutting firewood and slowly reducing angles.

Not sure if you want to give square filing a try, but here is my opinion:
I use semi skip square filed chain on my work saws and could never get round chain to rip big hardwood limbs as smooth and fast as square. So it made sense to use it.
I've tried the Granberg ripping chain, but could not get good results.
Seems like some folks pick up square filing easily, others not as quick.
Like any chain square is not good new and needs filing, and of course depth gauges lowered.
It may be worth getting a loop or two, using it for cutting firewood and slowly reducing angles.
That sounds like a good plan.
I'm heading by my Stihl dealer today for some oil so I'll talk to them about it. Not sure if any of them have experience with CSM, but i'll ask and I do know of some guys around me that do it so I can ask them as well.

Back