Stihl 045 AV Rebuild.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will it idle indefinitely, or does it stall out within a minute or two if not feathered?
Na it will idle all day long, stay at a solid RPM and return to idle perfectly. Very good point though, if there was a slight leak through the nozzel, it may take a minute or two to show itself. I let it idle for about 2-3 minutes to warm it up on the first start and didn’t touch it and it just chugged along happily

First cuts, loading the saw some. I call that a successful rebuild. The chain is new stihl chain, but this wood is so hard that after a few cuts it was getting dull, by the time I filmed this, it required some pressure to cut effectively. The saw is more responsive off idle now which is great, ignition works, but with the inline tester, it got to about 1mm of gap and died. It’s on its way out, but it works fine for now and this will be a shelf queen.

@PogoInTheWoods glad to see you got your saw done too, funny, we started just days apart and finished just days apart. Great to have you sharing your journey with your saw here too! We started them around the beginning of December and finished them mid April. That’s gone so fast...

Well done, young man. You should be very proud of this one! Thank you for allowing me along for the ride.

BTW, and just out of curiosity, I replaced the OEM coil on mine with the AM and it starts and runs just fine with it. FWIW, it is 'Proline' branded from Sawzilla here in the states and runs $42.00US. I wouldn't hesitate to use another one.

All the best.

Well done, young man. You should be very proud of this one! Thank you for allowing me along for the ride.

BTW, and just out of curiosity, I replaced the OEM coil on mine with the AM and it starts and runs just fine with it. FWIW, it is 'Proline' branded from Sawzilla here in the states and runs $42.00US. I wouldn't hesitate to use another one.

All the best.
Thank you Pogo, good to know, i wasn’t sure how reliable AM coils are, but sounds like you got a good one. From memory Proline coils are NOT Chinese made, I had a look on eBay about a week ago. Thanks again for the kind words, yes I’m pleased. I’ll clean it up, give it a wipe over with some lanotech and then return it to the Stihl shop owner :)

Just finished cleaning it before sending it back to the owner. I have found a rag covered in this stuff called Lanotech Heavy Duty to leave a really nice finish and lustre. Don’t apply it on thick though or it will go sticky, just go over the whole saw with the lanotech covered rag, leave it for 5 minutes and then go over it with another rag and remove any excess and buff well. It leaves a thin film of lanolin which, in the above method for all intents and purposes, feels dry to the touch unlike a typical multipurpose oil.627A2F59-808A-4F25-A1A5-AF4A5B51A44A.jpeg

Thanks, I think I have the latest copy of those TBs, but will compare them to the link.

I had a hard time finding the OEM replacement o-ring sleeves 1108 649 5000 that go under the old style oil pump, but finally did. Same as used on the 08S.
Just saw your post about the seal, 1108 649 5000. I just got an oil pump for my 045av but the pump they sent doesn't look like it uses that type of seal. Do you know if that seal is only used on certain pumps?
Thanks
Brumbl

Attachments

• 20230224_104319.jpg
    20230224_104319.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230224_110121.jpg
    20230224_110121.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Hotshot. Didn't look like it did anything but didn't want troubles down the road. Saw has no nameplate but either 045 or 056. Electronic ignition, 52mm piston and serial # E9981791.
Thanks for you help on this.
brumbl

Back