Stihl 045 AV Rebuild.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eyes-apple.png

Hows it goin so far?

Mine will be taking a slight turn I belive as this showed up and verifies as what I thought it might be.

Still have to wait for the saw itself to show up or I am able to go pick it up. Getting verification on which sprocket it has and if I want to change the clutch or not with one of the options.
6cf850d5bbf88d209bd4e60247cfa01c.jpg

Hows it goin so far?

Mine will be taking a slight turn I belive as this showed up and verifies as what I thought it might be.

Still have to wait for the saw itself to show up or I am able to go pick it up. Getting verification on which sprocket it has and if I want to change the clutch or not with one of the options.
6cf850d5bbf88d209bd4e60247cfa01c.jpg
Hey mate, I haven’t gotten any further than testing compression (162psi) and confirming spark.

I was just putting the finishing touches to the 020av. Hope to run a pressure and vac test this week, though either way I’m splitting the case and doing a proper once over. With seals and gaskets NLA, I expect it to take quite a while to get hold of some from the US.

I plan to replace the points and condenser, crank seals, small end bearing, crank bearings, new case and cylinder gaskets, carby kit and manifold gaskets and call it good.

Tell me, what / where are you with yours? Your last post lost me!

Well, the saw is currently in the middle of BC. That cylinder above is an original Mahle, chromed, 056 Magnum in what I would call good condition, definitely runable.

With the option to convert open, it would give me an 056 mag without the ignition problems. The further decision I have now is stay 3/8 or run .404; the .404 option I belive corresponds to the larger crankcase molding. The IPL shows both large and small crankcase were mag options.

There are 4 or 5 parts different between the 045 and 056 mag, plus the chip deflectors on the 056.

It does make me curious if the 045 would benefit from the 056 air preheater or not? As that is one of the part differences.

Well, the saw is currently in the middle of BC. That cylinder above is an original Mahle, chromed, 056 Magnum in what I would call good condition, definitely runable.

With the option to convert open, it would give me an 056 mag without the ignition problems. The further decision I have now is stay 3/8 or run .404; the .404 option I belive corresponds to the larger crankcase molding. The IPL shows both large and small crankcase were mag options.

There are 4 or 5 parts different between the 045 and 056 mag, plus the chip deflectors on the 056.

It does make me curious if the 045 would benefit from the 056 air preheater or not? As that is one of the part differences.
Any and all specific 045/056 questions you have, I’d love to hear and try to answer if I can. Now, for the .404 “option”, all you need is a rim sprocket setup. I changed an 045 Super over to .404 by just putting a rim sprocket kit on it. I don’t know what you mean by a ”large and small crankcase”, the only crankcase change I know of was between the early (raised letter instead of badged) 045’s and all the later 045/056 saws. Also, what it this “preheater” you mention? Is it a little metal plate that screws onto the side of the upper grip/cover? If so, I don’t think you can put it on the 045 as my 045 does not have the screw holes, just a raised flange on the casting.

Any and all specific 045/056 questions you have, I’d love to hear and try to answer if I can. Now, for the .404 “option”, all you need is a rim sprocket setup. I changed an 045 Super over to .404 by just putting a rim sprocket kit on it. I don’t know what you mean by a ”large and small crankcase”, the only crankcase change I know of was between the early (raised letter instead of badged) 045’s and all the later 045/056 saws. Also, what it this “preheater” you mention? Is it a little metal plate that screws onto the side of the upper grip/cover? If so, I don’t think you can put it on the 045 as my 045 does not have the screw holes, just a raised flange on the casting.
The 056 lists two crankcase with one being an option. I was guessing that it was larger for .404 clearance, but maybe not?

Yeah the preheater it is that deflector that screws onto the flange.

There are two early 056 crankcases with the main differences being the PTO side bearing/bearing seat/snap ring and the spur gear setups for the oiler. No option about it, but rather a major design change.

There are different spur gear drives for each sprocket type and crankcase type respectively. Also different washers and pins depending on spur or rim type sprockets, etc. While they can be rednecked to work interchangeably to a limited degree with the pin drive arrangement, the wrong combination of parts will inevitably fail, including taking out the PTO side oil seal in the process..

There are two early 056 crankcases with the main differences being the PTO side bearing/bearing seat/snap ring and the spur gear setups for the oiler. No option about it, but rather a major design change.

There are different spur gear drives for each sprocket type and crankcase type respectively. Also different washers and pins depending on spur or rim type sprockets, etc. While they can be rednecked to work interchangeably to a limited degree with the pin drive arrangement, the wrong combination of parts will inevitably fail, including taking out the PTO side oil seal in the process..
Hmm, so the 26.82 is for the larger crankcase?
7562898ff7d640886ceabccdecf3bc65.jpg

There is no larger and smaller crankcase per se. And 26.82 is the technical bulletin explaining the differences in spur gears which changed with the serial number indicated. And we're talking rim drive sprocket setups here, not spur drive sprockets. Switching from one type to the other requires the entire assembly (minus the clutch itself) to be changed from the bearing on out to whichever style clutch drum is being used. And we're also talking 056. The 045 spur gear was pin driven regardless of rim or spur sprocket and would possibly require additional consideration if converting to the later style rim drive setup. I'd hafta study that a little to determine if a hybrid solution would be as easy as one would think.

There was a lot going on with the spur gears, bushings, thrust washers, pump drive approaches and sprocket setup combinations during that time and everything needs to match for any of em to work right for any length of time. That's one of the early knocks on the 1115 series -- oiler problems. The oil pump usually worked fine. The pump drive components were usually the problem and were serviced incorrectly when repairs were attempted -- only to fail again.

There is no larger and smaller crankcase per se. And 26.82 is the technical bulletin explaining the differences in spur gears which changed with the serial number indicated. And we're talking rim drive sprocket setups here, not spur drive sprockets. Switching from one type to the other requires the entire assembly (minus the clutch itself) to be changed from the bearing on out to whichever style clutch drum is being used. And we're also talking 056. The 045 spur gear was pin driven regardless of rim or spur sprocket and would possibly require additional consideration if converting to the later style rim drive setup. I'd hafta study that a little to determine if a hybrid solution would be as easy as one would think.

There was a lot going on with the spur gears, bushings, thrust washers, pump drive approaches and sprocket setup combinations during that time and everything needs to match for any of em to work right for any length of time. That's one of the early knocks on the 1115 series -- oiler problems. The oil pump usually worked fine. The pump drive components were usually the problem and were serviced incorrectly when repairs were attempted -- only to fail again.
I looked at a neighbor’s (tried and true, I might add) 045 and 056 rim sprocket setups and the 045 re-used the original spur-drive washer and pin setup. The pin would just seat in one of the cutouts in the rim as opposed to the hole in the spur.

Not quite, I was looking for information on the crankcase difference. I incorrectly guessed the larger case was for the .404 chain.

That not being the case and pogointhewoods mentioning the pto issue and in relation to the oil pump, I was trying to determine which oil spur was correct as the IPL does not differentiate between the two nor denote if one belongs to a specific version.

The clutch-rim sprocket I have not fully decided on yet. I was just trying to firm up internals.

The note about the oiler change/update is interesting, I'll likely have to wait until the saw is apart to determine which version it has. The question is how to tell the two spurs apart and if any of the other differences are unmarked on the IPL.

Is that arrow line a reference to the serial numbers with the updated component?

Back