Stihl 046 crankcase bolt stripped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevor615

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so I got a 046 and I was tightening the crank case bolts to 11.5nm which I believed was the correct torque spec. Once I hit about 10nm it stripped out the threads in the hole. I’m wondering what you recommend to fix it. Should I try to heli coil it or tap it out to a 6mm bolt? I’m hoping I won’t have to split the cases. I’m just looking for your guys opinion.

I did a big bore kit on an 064 with the m5 bolts and it blew the threads out...sent the jug into orbit. I ordered an m6 bottom tap and appropriate drill bit and allen head m6 bolts. I stuffed tissues in the crankcase to keep chips out. Used a long T handle tap holder, took about 10 minutes and worked fine.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

You can heli coil it, that’s stronger than orginal. Not all case half’s are the same. There CNC machined while bolted together. I go up one bolt size on the bikes sometimes if there’s room. Measure the depth to see if using a longer bolt is possible? Maybe use a bottom tap to give you more threads.

046 bolts are already M6. The only good repair is a timesert. Buy a kit (~$80) and it will find more use, or find someone near you to help that has one.

I bought an M4/5/6 kit around 4 years ago and cannot tell you how many times it’s save my arse to this day. They are indispensable if you’ll be working on saws often.

You can heli coil it, that’s stronger than orginal. Not all case half’s are the same. There CNC machined while bolted together. I go up one bolt size on the bikes sometimes if there’s room. Measure the depth to see if using a longer bolt is possible? Maybe use a bottom tap to give you more threads.
Correct, non paired 046 case halves are notoriously bad for matching up, do so at your own risk.

Unfortunately I can’t afford to buy a time sert at the moment. I think I’ve decided I’m gonna split the cases and decided weather I got enough magnesium to tap it to a m6 and not crack the case.

046 bolts are already M6. The only good repair is a timesert. Buy a kit (~$80) and it will find more use, or find someone near you to help that has one.

I bought an M4/5/6 kit around 4 years ago and cannot tell you how many times it’s save my arse to this day. They are indispensable if you’ll be working on saws often.
Plus 1.

046 cylinder bolts are M6, yes.

Is the OP talking about actual crankcase bolts? They’re M5 and rarely strip (but can). Depending on the location a M6x20 may work, but a properly installed timesert would be my choice for nearly everything on a saw. As to his question about splitting the case, I would but it may not be necessary.

I used a Husqvarna splitter on an ms440, forgot a screw and pulled the threads out. Helicoiled to the original size with no issues. I don’t see a reason to increase the bolt size. If you have the case split any decent shop should have the kit and may be able to do it while you wait if you call ahead.

Back