Stihl 046 Magnum: Mods and Maintenance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToMang07

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up a Stihl 046 Mag, no history on the saw. (It was Pawned)

It's in good shape, a little used, but not terrible, and for the price, it was in MUCH better shape than the others I had the opportunity to buy.

So....what should I do before I run it? I already have a new 20" bar/chain in the mail, (Came with a 25" bar/chain, but I want to use it on my mill)

I plan to check compression before I do anything to it, and clean it up/inspect it. I may put a dual port muffler on it depending on what it has now.

Suggestions?

Disclaimer: I found a couple related threads, but most were for either 044 or 460 threads.

I would think the 460 mods would be applicable. The main difference between 046 and 460 are flippy caps.

I don't own one but I've been in the market for one for a while now.

My research indicates a dul port muffler and squish check are in order for a stock saw.

I would think the 460 mods would be applicable. The main difference between 046 and 460 are flippy caps.

I don't own one but I've been in the market for one for a while now.

My research indicates a dual port muffler and squish check are in order for a stock saw.

I was under the impression that the 460 had a different engine,crank/stroke was different?

Search how to measure squish.

Essentially you are measuring how close the piston comes to the head of the cylinder at the perimeter of the piston. 0.020"is what you're shooting for. This tolerance can be adjusted via the gasket between the cylinder and case.

DOES IT HAVE A D-JUG ???????

Throw a HD2 and a DP muff cover on it and let er rip !

Report back and let us know how she runs ! Those are grate saws !

HD2.... is that just a higher-flow filter? And dual-ported muffler will be there, for sure.

D-Jug? Is that just the 52mm? Ir does that mean something different?

You guys are killing me with the acronyms, lol

Search how to measure squish.

Essentially you are measuring how close the piston comes to the head of the cylinder at the perimeter of the piston. 0.020"is what you're shooting for. This tolerance can be adjusted via the gasket between the cylinder and case.

Gotcha. I'll check it out. Is that a plasti-gauge or a feeler gauge check? I have feeler gauges.

HD2.... is that just a higher-flow filter? And dual-ported muffler will be there, for sure.

D-Jug? Is that just the 52mm? Ir does that mean something different?

You guys are killing me with the acronyms, lol

Look in your combustion chamber when you pull the jug off and if you see the letter D on the squishband you got a real ripper.

The HD2 is a known performance enhancer and the muffler cover will give you a nice bump in power and let the saw run cooler ( heat is the enemy of 2 strokes )

Congrats on the saw !

Look in your combustion chamber when you pull the jug off and if you see the letter D on the squishband you got a real ripper.

The HD2 is a known performance enhancer and the muffler cover will give you a nice bump in power and let the saw run cooler ( heat is the enemy of 2 strokes )

Congrats on the saw !

Thanks. Just looked up a HD2.... holy hell.... The massive filter on my 7.3L diesel doesn't cost as much as that little thing!

Stick electrical solder through the spark plug hole and push it up against the cylinder wall on each side, left and right not front to back. Move the cylinder up until it smashes the solder. Measure the thickness of the solder with calipers. Repeat a few times to verify results.

Congratulations on your 046. Let's see some pictures.

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Stick electrical solder through the spark plug hole and push it up against the cylinder wall on each side, left and right not front to back. Move the cylinder up until it smashes the solder. Measure the thickness of the solder with calipers. Repeat a few times to verify results.

Congratulations on your 046. Let's see some pictures.

That makes sense, thanks!

Bring the piston near TDC before sticking the solder in. That's what she said. J/k. That keeps the solder from getting into any ports.

Back