Stihl 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamp363

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an Stihl 046 that I purchased for a project saw. I knew the saw was locked up and had some other issues. Upon teardown I saw the problem. A piece broke off the bottom part of the piston must of spun around the bottom of the crankcase. The piece then became wedged in the rod bearing. My question is that when the piece was traveling around the bottom of the crankcase it put some groves and some small knicks in the bottom of the crankcase. There are no holes but I am wondering if this is shot. Thanks

No

no holes. I took an Emory cloth and blended the scratches in. Never seen a piston break at the bottom like that
I could show you a wheel barrel load of them over the years, very common to see piston skirts worn paper thin on the intake side, especially in high hour production chainsaws.

Pictures and videos if possible when done. I love another 046 brought back to life. Mine was a $10 tag sale find. Needed a handle so it looks half MS series but it’s an 046, the one on the right. F74A3EBE-9517-4C6B-93C5-813944FB3016.jpeg

Back