Stihl 048 AV muffler problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ad357

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I've been reading the forum for a long time, but it's the first time I'm writing.

A few days ago I bought my much-desired Stihl 048AV. I bought it from England at a good price, the seller said that the chainsaw didn't work. I disassembled and cleaned everything, the problem was in the spark plug. The electrode was far away, I fixed it and the old beast start easy with no problems.
Piston, cylinder and everything else is in perfect condition. Except the muffler, it is problematic (I upload pictures). The material is rusty and is pierced and crushed in the front. Overall it is in very poor condition.

My question is what are my options for action? Can it somehow be welded. Or look for someone who can make me a new front part of the muffler from scratch.

Finding an original in good condition at a normal price is almost impossible. And there is no new ones aftermarket mufflers for this model.

I will be glad to read your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 10
looks ok just straighten out the fins.maybe a little tig welding in a spot or too.

id try flux core wire, low heat, quick tacks. grind lumps down after.
have tig, but thinkin that rusty tin be pretty thin after cleanin it up for tiggin.
put want to buy ad on here.
if ya werent so far away i'd offer weldin.

edit. will weld if ya wanna ship both ways.

Thanks for answers.

I'll look for a welder around me for a consultation.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. But unfortunately I'm too far away. I live in Bulgaria.

Opinions on making a new custom front side? What material would be best to use?

I upload picture of other stock type muffler for my 048. I like this model more. I wonder how it will look inside and where are the openings?

Attachments

• image_fad735f6-edf2-4461-9b3e-7a5db3842a44_large.jpg
    image_fad735f6-edf2-4461-9b3e-7a5db3842a44_large.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2
Back