Stihl 048 something??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadhunter1

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I know there are a few posts from people about the Stihl 048 on here but I’m not seeing a post that covers what I’m needing so I figured I’d post a new thread.

I recently picked up an 048 and am trying to figure a few things out about this saw. First of all, I’m not sure if this is just a plain 048, 048av, 048aveq, 048 super, 048 magnum??? I’m not even sure if this model came in a magnum... the ID plate on the top cover is missing so is there any way of knowing which one this is? Also, what are the differences in the different types?? I’m hoping one of you experts can shed some light on this for me?

The guy I picked it up from said he was trying to redo the wiring on it and broke the black choke lever/cam so I will be needing to replace that, or JB weld the plastic back together... I have verified that the saw does have spark and with a little make shift wiring I was able to start the saw and let it run for a few seconds. But I know the wiring isn’t right be cause when I disconnected the wire connection that I made to give the saw spark it didn’t shut off, I had to pull the plug boot to get it to stop running. I’m not sure how the wiring is supposed to be on this saw becausewhen I got it the wiring was taken apart and can’t seem to make heads or tails of the IPL on how to reconnect the wiring. Any help with this would be huge, thanks in advance. It is also missing the chain brake assembly which I would like to put back on it. So I’ll need to find a few parts here and there to make this a complete saw. I think it’s worth working on because over all it’s not in terrible shape and when I pulled the exhaust off to look at the P&C, they look brand new. The saw has Tons of compression and like I said it fired up so I’m hopeful I can get what I’m needing to make this complete. Any tips, or ideas/pointer would be much appreciated

Good luck on the chainbrake, almost no parts are available for that. Almost all parts for them are unavailable anywhere, as I found out when I started rebuilding mine. No magnum, no Q. 048AV, 048AVE, 048AVE Super, 048AVE Super Quickstop. The cylinder will have 2 crosses/x'es next to the part number if it's a Super. If it's not, it won't have 'em. Quickstop just means chainbrake. Finding a choke lever is darn near impossible, so fix the one ya got. As for the wiring, mine is chewed up too, so I'll just use the choke. Mine needs the last bits of transfer cleaned out of the cylinder and a fair bit of hardware. If you could post pics of the screws used to hold your recoil, wrap handle, and the screws at the bottom of the muffler, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Self-tappers replaced about 5-10 bits of hardware on my saw and when you have something apart for weeks, didn't document the disassembly of it, and it's missing a fair bit of its hardware in the first place, remembering what screws you have and which went where is REALLY REALLY confusing.

Good luck on the chainbrake, almost no parts are available for that. Almost all parts for them are unavailable anywhere, as I found out when I started rebuilding mine. No magnum, no Q. 048AV, 048AVE, 048AVE Super, 048AVE Super Quickstop. The cylinder will have 2 crosses/x'es next to the part number if it's a Super. If it's not, it won't have 'em. Quickstop just means chainbrake. Finding a choke lever is darn near impossible, so fix the one ya got. As for the wiring, mine is chewed up too, so I'll just use the choke. Mine needs the last bits of transfer cleaned out of the cylinder and a fair bit of hardware. If you could post pics of the screws used to hold your recoil, wrap handle, and the screws at the bottom of the muffler, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Self-tappers replaced about 5-10 bits of hardware on my saw and when you have something apart for weeks, didn't document the disassembly of it, and it's missing a fair bit of its hardware in the first place, remembering what screws you have and which went where is REALLY REALLY confusing.

Thanks for the info on the different model types. I’ll check my saw for the x’s... do you happen to know what the difference is between them? Like, is the super more displacement then the regular 048?

Do you have an IPL of your saw? That should tell you what screws go where... if that doesn’t help I can try to take a couple pics of the question areas

I have no first hand knowledge of the 048 but on other saws such as 041, 056 etc the super and magnum designation did mean an increase in displacement. Where as the 066, calling it the magnum simply sounded better didn't change anything.

Back