Stihl 050 from the cowbarn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was helping my cousin with his ms 290 and he brought out a bunch of saw carcasses from the barn.

Most interesting one was a complete 050. Turns free and has compression, but been sitting a LONG time. B/C is rusty.

Is there any interest in these? Do parts from it's bigger brothers fit/interchange?

Anybody might need parts?

Edit: How close are these to 075/076?

It is the early version of the 051. Notorious for clutch issues at first from what I have heard. Not sure if they resolved that on the 050, or if the fix was included in the 'new' at the time 051. Back in the day, the 051 AV was the wave of the future among PNW loggers. I believe most folks ran a 42" roller nose bar with .404. I believe that saw may have been the beginning of anti-vibe saws in the woods.

It is the early version of the 051. Notorious for clutch issues at first from what I have heard. Not sure if they resolved that on the 050, or if the fix was included in the 'new' at the time 051. Back in the day, the 051 AV was the wave of the future among PNW loggers. I believe most folks ran a 42" roller nose bar with .404. I believe that saw may have been the beginning of anti-vibe saws in the woods.

Next time I'm buy there, I'll see if it is 0.404 chain.

It's 87cc I think.

My 051 is much lower rpm than my husky 2100. Used it side by side once and havent used the 051 since. Huge difference cutting. 10-15 years difference between the two though.

Latest posts

Back