STIHL 051 Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey87

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am having an issue with my STIHL 051. I have deleted the points and added a new electronic, one wire ignition coil. However, I know very little about electronics. The saw starts and runs like a champ but I’ve tried 3 toggle switches and it won’t turn off. Am I missing a wire somewhere?
Any help is much appreciated!

55c4f6988633b54704f57f44ef6215d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you are missing the ground strap, which looks like this one.
Screenshot_20181114-152752.jpg
The elongated hole goes between the tank and the rear handle, which makes a ground circuit flow to the air filter housing, which gives the on/off switch it's ground. The upper part of the strap bolts to the hole in the air filter base.
Here....
20181114_152646.jpg
I can't tell from the pic, if yours is in place, but the bolt needs to be in there clamping the lower ground strap to make a circuit.

Hi All,
I am having an issue with my STIHL 051. I have deleted the points and added a new electronic, one wire ignition coil. However, I know very little about electronics. The saw starts and runs like a champ but I’ve tried 3 toggle switches and it won’t turn off. Am I missing a wire somewhere?

Very g
Hi All,

very good looking saw. To pretty to use to cut wood. Tom

Thanks. :). I bought a new ignition coil, along with about $300 in other things, and turns out the kill switch is bad on the coil. So, I’m exchanging coils and hope that works. Otherwise, she’s ready to be done.

Back