Stihl 056 bar studs, what happens if you.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never seen that before, and that's the fourth one you've run across. There's a crack on the 045/056s that sometimes runs on mag side top extension, but you can stop it with drilling a small hole & then JB welding the crack & hole closed.

Do you think it has anything to do with reefing down too hard on the saw against the dawgs, due to your "concrete hard" type of wood down there? That's the way the force in the crack would run.

That saw had an inner dawg on it, at one time...and the crack propagation starts at the adjuster screw cutout, just sayin'.

I like your theory!......I assumed it was heavy handed owners over tightening the bar nuts, the other three I've seen have all cracked between the studs, though I also have some 056's with the front AV broken off the crankcase.

.......And my answer to the stripped bar studs, the bar mount area is a little larger, the thin nut clears the muffler no worries on the front stud, the crankcase needs a small amount of work with the die grinder for the nut to sit flush against the case on the rear stud.
056 bar studs 001.JPG

I have used those "Mag II " or 8x10mm repair studs, 1115 664 2405, on a couple of saws, but have you modified the shorter one on the right to provide clearance?

Those will save your azz on strip outs. We normally don't see that kind of case damage, unless the saw gets trunk clobbered or falls off the truck or tractor.:mad:

Looks like the operators needed to go back to the shop & get their biggest cc saw with a fresh sharpened chain. Like author Robert Ruark's safari book title said, "use enough gun"!

Latest posts

Back