stihl 056 ignition solutions?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xp395lumberjack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After I discovered that my ignition was bad in the 056 mag 2 I started to do some research. I found info that said the ignition from a stihl 350TS or 360TS would work. I know at work we have stihl concrete saws so I'm going to try and bring it home and see if works on my 056. What do you guys think? By the way I really, really need a nice METAL 064 name plate!!!!! Thanks

Will there be any gtg around the Indiana area? I've never been to one and would love to go?

If your crank has the eccentric, a 041 points ignition is a drop-in replacement. Or, you can take that same ignition and convert it to electronic with a Nova module.

I believe there are plans for a GTG south of Indy sometime this spring. PM ericjeepers.

You should be able to buy a new metal 064 model plate on eBay. That's where I got mine.

Mag2 with crank lobes? lolol Only if someone messed with it...

yes, the TS350/TS360 SEM module is the exact replacement for the SEM in the 056M2.

You have recieved replies from 2 of the best posters here imo. I am new to this and am not in the same leauge as them, but I have recently redone a 045AVSE which may have the same ignition, my no spark problem was cause by a brittle bare stop wire touching ground underneath the flywheel. So if you have not done so it may be worth your time to pull the flywheel, and ignition module and have a look. I repaired mine with solder and shrink wrap, you can also remove the wire but then no kill switch. You will have to remove flywheel to replace anyway. Or maybe just remove the wire from the stop switch and just ohm it to ground, if short circuit you may have discovered your problem. I don't know who they bought there wire from, but it seems to have broken down in 30 years since they made the saw, however the ignition module still looked almost new. HTH Don

You have recieved replies from 2 of the best posters here imo. I am new to this and am not in the same leauge as them, but I have recently redone a 045AVSE which may have the same ignition, my no spark problem was cause by a brittle bare stop wire touching ground underneath the flywheel. So if you have not done so it may be worth your time to pull the flywheel, and ignition module and have a look. I repaired mine with solder and shrink wrap, you can also remove the wire but then no kill switch. You will have to remove flywheel to replace anyway. Or maybe just remove the wire from the stop switch and just ohm it to ground, if short circuit you may have discovered your problem. I don't know who they bought there wire from, but it seems to have broken down in 30 years since they made the saw, however the ignition module still looked almost new. HTH Don

The ground wire problem is common on the Bosch ignitions on the 056 Super and 045 Supers. The 056 MAG and MAG II use a SEM ignition. The ignition itself is what fails on those. The ignitions are completely different, as well as the flywheel/fanwheel.

well... In fairness.. I've seen my share of bad insulation on 056M2 wiring... It's usually pretty obvious when you pull the module. The later modules have a spade connector on the bottom for the grounding wire - the earler is directly into the module. If the earlier version, and it's bad, cut it off near the module, solder in a new wire and double heat shrink it.

Reviving old post...

Does anyone have pictures or a really good explanation to show the differences between the SEM and Bosch ignition systems? Is either better than the other? Sounds like if i have a SEM system I can get TS350 coil to fix any ignition problems?

I have 2-3 crank cases w/ ign's but wanted to collect the information first so I know what's going on and what to look for... Planning on Restoring a 056magII this winter but want to put the "good parts" into it so I don't have to worry in the future.

Also what is the best way to pull the flywheel under the fan? I got the fan cover pulled off but can't get figure how the flywheel comes off. Special tool? Didn't want to force it off and break something...

Reviving old post...

Does anyone have pictures or a really good explanation to show the differences between the SEM and Bosch ignition systems? Is either better than the other? Sounds like if i have a SEM system I can get TS350 coil to fix any ignition problems?

Bosch=flywheel fan on top of flywheel, old school point setup with individual pieces mounted to a plate.
Sem=solid flywheel, flywheel is the hard part to find. Module is a single epoxied unit.

I have 2-3 crank cases w/ ign's but wanted to collect the information first so I know what's going on and what to look for... Planning on Restoring a 056magII this winter but want to put the "good parts" into it so I don't have to worry in the future.

Also what is the best way to pull the flywheel under the fan? I got the fan cover pulled off but can't get figure how the flywheel comes off. Special tool? Didn't want to force it off and break something...

Threaded flywheel puller, WD40, and sometimes some heat as the Bosch flywheels can be on there real good. Sounds like you have the Bosch.

First pic is Bosch ignition.
Second is homemade flywheel puller for Bosch.
Last is Bosch 2 part flywheel.

Just edited this as I mixed up the pictures. No need for the SEM flywheel pic as Hotshot has posted it

Last edited:
ok so you get the SEM flywheel and then you can use the more previlent ts350 coils??? What can the SEM fly wheels be found on?

ok so you get the SEM flywheel and then you can use the more previlent ts350 coils??? What can the SEM fly wheels be found on?

Alongside all the other teeth in a hen's mouth.
Failing that Mag II 056.Some of the big Huskies shared the same ignition but I'm guessing the flywheel is different. 2100 rings a bell but can't be sure. Ts350 flywheel won't fit.

Last edited:
Sem

Alongside all the other teeth in a hen's mouth.
Failing that Mag II 056.Some of the big Huskies shared the same ignition but I'm guessing the flywheel is different. 2100 rings a bell but can't be sure. Ts350 flywheel won't fit.

Right, used on the 2100, maybe even the Dolmar 133 used it. The difference is that the Husky high tension lead is potted into the stator & too short for the 056, but nothing that a high voltage splice won't quickly fix.

Be patient on the hunt for your SEM GE flywheels, they will be on fleabay occasionally

10-4...
I think most of the ign i have are the two piece Bosch set up... I still have 1 that works so I might just stick with that and stay away from the modifications for now. I just wanted to gain the knowledge i guess. Would have been better if stihl put a standard ign outside the flywheel so other ign modules would swap. Guess that's why people are ditching these saws left and right with parts becoming more and more scarce.

I have the bosch ign like previously shown but also have one that looks like this...
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJ9j8QjBBrDJjqbR8jjLWkP-sG3VLsJfzyH_Kx_-zbJZ3nGUKp_g&t=1
Guessing it's bosch too since it's under the same fan wheel and similar flywheel as the bosch ign.

I've got bad wiring I need to fix on both but thought I would post up that there seems to be two different Bosch set-ups. Is either better than the other/fail less?

I'll give that other 056 ign thread a read too...

Thanks Guys!

I have the bosch ign like previously shown but also have one that looks like this...
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJ9j8QjBBrDJjqbR8jjLWkP-sG3VLsJfzyH_Kx_-zbJZ3nGUKp_g&t=1
Guessing it's bosch too since it's under the same fan wheel and similar flywheel as the bosch ign.

I've got bad wiring I need to fix on both but thought I would post up that there seems to be two different Bosch set-ups. Is either better than the other/fail less?

I'll give that other 056 ign thread a read too...

Thanks Guys!

That's the other SEM, the GA series. Also used on the 041 Supers. There are two Bosch CD types though, the early one had the electronics more exposed, with just a conformal coating. Both use the same rotor/FW.

You can get a rotor/FW for that GA cheap & then use the same fan wheel with the 3 screws. Have seen a lot of them on the internet lately, look for the four separate magnets on the inside rim, but they are not evenly spaced out, and have two closer together. The points FW can look the same, but have the magnets evenly spaced out or another Bosch point type had just one continous strip. What a mess of garbled up ignition changes that Stihl made at that time....I think there must be five different FW all together.

Last edited:
I know this is an older thread, but does anyone have a top and bottom pic of the G/E series SEM flywheel? Need to confirm something on my saw.......

I have a nice, 056 AV Super that definitely has the SEM G/E ignition module, (just removed it) but the flywheel is a two-piece unit with the detachable fan, has the three threaded holes for the puller, has four equally-spaced magnets underneath, has a "made in Germany" stamp on the side with what looks to be a standard Stihl part number, and appears NOT to be made in Sweden.............from everything I've read on this post, that should NOT be the FW for the SEM G/E, although the module
strangely fits underneath!

I can post a pic of FW and module if needed.

I bought this saw from a guy who never had it running, just said that he "tried to get it to spark" and did not get there..........the compression is good so I know I can make it a good runner if I get the proper ignition combo going.........

Anyhow, I just want to check if the previous owner has not mixed a SEM module underneath a points-type FW, if that is even possible.......
once I know if I have the right FW/Ignition combo, then I can start working on getting the spark fixed and get it back cutting the big wood......................

Bullseye, did you ever get this saw up and running? I have the EXACT same situation as you are dealing with. I did end up finding a frayed killswitch wire while I was in there, which I believe could have contributed to my issues of it turning off when it got warmed up. I inititally believed it would be a Bosch ignition, so I bought the capacitor to perform the "Foggsail" fix, but to my surprise it was the SEM when I got in there (after needing to purchase an expensive flywheel tool).

Have not put the saw back together yet, but debating about whether to just locate a new ignition (potentially from a TS-35oA) or go ahead and see if I can get it to work with the ground wire now removed.

Shifty...........I actually found a supplier on the Germany ebay who sold replacements for both style of Bosch ignitions.......he has both for the points ignition replacement (with integrated coil in effect converting it to electronic), and the full electronic style Bosch replacement............ My saw as I discovered was originally the points ignition since it had the lobe on the crank

the replacement ignition I bought was about half the money of the other, and it took a bit over 2 weeks to get it sent over from the Fatherland, but well worth it. Works like a champ.

Here's the link to his site............http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elektronisc...461574?hash=item2eb18f69c6:g:RTUAAOSwY45URgGc

If you have the other Bosch style of full ignition, just click on his "other items" and it will direct you to the page to buy the other style.

IF you have a SEM, none of these choices work obviously..............However, like said in the other posts, you can swap flywheels to match the ignition and in my case, to match the recoil style..............

Either way, I got hot spark baby!...........and the best part is the fix is a clean and easy plug and play.

Good luck with yours!~

Latest posts

Back