stihl 056 ignition solutions?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Shifty and Bullseye,
Did either of you get something working on the SEM ignition?
just starting research on how to fix a non sparking 056 mag2.
I have a nova 2 to try just as soon as I take it off another saw!! :)

Cheers
Nathan

Different saws, but similar problems. I have an 041 w/ SEM that I tried a Nova on. Not even close. Swapped to a points flywheel w/ the nova. Started & idled fine, but fell on its face at high rpms. Converted it to points and it runs strong.

Hi Shifty and Bullseye,
Did either of you get something working on the SEM ignition?
just starting research on how to fix a non sparking 056 mag2.
I have a nova 2 to try just as soon as I take it off another saw!! :)

Cheers
Nathan

Hello Nathan,

Always good to hear from a friend Down Under!

However, my solutions were only for the Bosch ignitions, not the SEM...........at this time,
I do not have any advice to offer for the SEM

If you have anything that comes up, please let us know...........Good luck!

Bullseye

Thanks lads,

I have had a bit of a play tonight with the 056 but didnt get too far.
Might have a tilt at the aftermarket ignition... Does anyone have info about the variable timing? Cant seem to find too much anywhere about it except that it has variable timing.... Sounds like a challenge to me...

Hmmm looks like the variable timing might be a furfy.
JonCraig, I have read a little about your experiences with your 041. I have an 051 which runs with a nova as if it was supposed to be on there? Electronic too not points...... just cut the trigger wire and connected the nova right in there and it barks. havent had time to test thoroughly but initial trials are good. Also want to get it nice and hot and see how it goes under duress but looks promising.
You tried the nova just cut into the SEM ignition trigger? Did you try both polarities? Although I guess you would have had to try with the new coil? not the old one??

On another note I tested my coil tonight and got 2.5k so that winding looks ok.. have to test the other one.......

30 might be correct. You'd expect a high ratio between the primary and secondary, as the transformer is converting a very small voltage (maybe less than 20V) from a magnet moving past a coil into a very high voltage (10k plus).

For the correct specs, of course, we need a service manual.

I had the same problem of the coil heating up then would stop firing. I found a simple cheap solution. I installed a Oregon 33053 electronic ignition module and did away with the Bosch. The Oregon module has to be ground down to fit but a dremel tool makes it quick work.20171030_105435.jpg

I had the same problem of the coil heating up then would stop firing. I found a simple cheap solution. I installed a Oregon 33053 electronic ignition module and did away with the Bosch. The Oregon module has to be ground down to fit but a dremel tool makes it quick work.View attachment 609844
Hey Vern,

I don’t suppose you could walk me through the fix?

H
Shifty...........I actually found a supplier on the Germany ebay who sold replacements for both style of Bosch ignitions.......he has both for the points ignition replacement (with integrated coil in effect converting it to electronic), and the full electronic style Bosch replacement............ My saw as I discovered was originally the points ignition since it had the lobe on the crank

the replacement ignition I bought was about half the money of the other, and it took a bit over 2 weeks to get it sent over from the Fatherland, but well worth it. Works like a champ.

Here's the link to his site............http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elektronisc...461574?hash=item2eb18f69c6:g:RTUAAOSwY45URgGc

If you have the other Bosch style of full ignition, just click on his "other items" and it will direct you to the page to buy the other style.

IF you have a SEM, none of these choices work obviously..............However, like said in the other posts, you can swap flywheels to match the ignition and in my case, to match the recoil style..............

Either way, I got hot spark baby!...........and the best part is the fix is a clean and easy plug and play.

Good luck with yours!~
Hi Bullseye,

Would you be able to tell me which ignition I’ve got?
Thanks for the heads up on the German shop.

Attachments

• 383CD059-413F-4475-8B93-9FD8D5C9A914.jpeg
    383CD059-413F-4475-8B93-9FD8D5C9A914.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
That’s Bosch, if I’m not mistaken.
Hey Jon,

I got one of these German ignitions and upon fitting found that it’s housing is around 1mm to large on the O.D. to fit flat on the saws base plate.
The obvious fix is to disassemble the ignition parts off the housing and take a bit off it.
Any thoughts?

Hmmm... doesn’t sound right. Should fit better than that. Post pics of what you have, please?
Hey Jon
Here is the photos of it in but not fastened down as it’s not sitting down rather it is sitting high on the ring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • F42F4B9E-84A8-45D3-94F3-C1FC907C98AF.jpeg
    F42F4B9E-84A8-45D3-94F3-C1FC907C98AF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
That aftermarket ignition sure looks like a nova chip attached to a coil. IIRC, the flywheel magnet polarity is wrong (or maybe it’s the physical timing location of the magnets on the flywheel?) and a nova chip won’t work on these ignitions. Do you have a link to the product you bought? Maybe the fine print will be telling?

Latest posts

Back