STIHL 056 Mag or 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had prolly the nicest 56magII on the planet. Sold it.
Get a good vintage 066 or settle for a ms660.I'll never get rid
of my 066
stuffz242.jpg

Yes it gets used
stuffz248.jpg

I would guess Andy/Lakeside had the nicest mag II on the planet all brand new. Love my 056 but when it comes to serious cuttin out comes the 066. 056 is a show piece for the good old days.

The 660 is lighter then the 056. The 056 is built more like a tank then 660, in my opinion. Both are great saws.
Your comparing a old school saw to a new school saw.
Parts are easier to find for the 660/066.

what to do what to do

Yall got me considering selling my 056 mag2 now & getting an 066(0). I just put a new factory piston & ported jug in it and just, today, broke it in & got the carb adjusted properly. It cranks fasts, idles perfect, accels fast, cuts fast, amazing torque, awesome saw. I don't need a big saw often, but when I do I do. I got this one because I know it's rep. I had one in the 90's, it was near new, got it for $150, or stole it for $150 I should say. I've regretted many times selling it, even though I got $750 for it. I guess if I used one everyday, I might more consider swapping for an 066(0).
What advantages, besides weight, does the 066(0) have over this 056 mag2? Speed? Power? Torque?
Thanks for all the feedback!

Yall got me considering selling my 056 mag2 now & getting an 066(0). I just put a new factory piston & ported jug in it and just, today, broke it in & got the carb adjusted properly. It cranks fasts, idles perfect, accels fast, cuts fast, amazing torque, awesome saw. I don't need a big saw often, but when I do I do. I got this one because I know it's rep. I had one in the 90's, it was near new, got it for $150, or stole it for $150 I should say. I've regretted many times selling it, even though I got $750 for it. I guess if I used one everyday, I might more consider swapping for an 066(0).
What advantages, besides weight, does the 066(0) have over this 056 mag2? Speed? Power? Torque?
Thanks for all the feedback!
If i allready had a nice mag II and didnt need a big saw I would definitely keep it. Get a used 066 later if you find your self needing a big saw much.

066 for work... 056 for play. I think the 56 has way more grunt but the 66 is much better to use every day. Also much easier to get parts for the 66.

066 for work... 056 for play. I think the 56 has way more grunt but the 66 is much better to use every day. Also much easier to get parts for the 66.

Exactly! I can tell you that you'd never need heated handles while using the 056, it throws enough heat through the top cover to keep your hands toasty.

56's are hard to get parts for anymore, the ignitions are almost impossible to find anymore, i'd steer clear and buy a poly flywheel ms660. there is no more torque from a 56 over a 66

56's are hard to get parts for anymore, the ignitions are almost impossible to find anymore, i'd steer clear and buy a poly flywheel ms660. there is no more torque from a 56 over a 66

Yup. I have an 056 on my bench right now waiting to find a coil for it. They are out there but around the $150 range for a SEM coil.

Which is the better saw, Stihl 056 magnum 2 or Stihl 660 (066)????
I've never run a 660, but I've chopped with a 56 since 1983 and compared to all the other saws I've used, my 56 out cuts them all...(Of coarse with a proper filing.)
I chop and limb with it, and use it on the landing as well...
I used to chop with a 075, but when I got my 56, I retired the 75 to the landing. Great landing saw.

Back