Stihl 056 Magnum Build!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The supers and up had dual port mufflers. I’m not sure about the internal differences if there was any at all. But on the outside the 2s all had a chain brake, rear muffler deflector, hump over the kill switch, and....? My regular magnum had a chain brake, magnum style dual port muffler, and magnum style ignition setup. I do know that the Magnum II was the last iteration of the 045/056 family. I remember when doing research on the magnum I wasn't able to find much and there was several different style name plates. Your saw should be a real looker when done. Shoot me a PM if you want any performance work done to it.

The supers and up had dual port mufflers. I’m not sure about the internal differences if there was any at all. But on the outside the 2s all had a chain brake, rear muffler deflector, hump over the kill switch, and....? My regular magnum had a chain brake, magnum style dual port muffler, and magnum style ignition setup. I do know that the Magnum II was the last iteration of the 045/056 family. I remember when doing research on the magnum I wasn't able to find much and there was several different style name plates. Your saw should be a real looker when done. Shoot me a PM if you want any performance work done to it.
AWESOME! Thank you very much for the comprehensive reply. Makes sense. I've been doing tons of research also and had very little luck.
Biggest hang up I'm having on parts is the 13x17x14.5 wrist pin bearing.
I've found out that to get by this issue you can put the 56mm 066 piston pin and bearing in the 56mm 056. The 066 pin fits in the 056 rod end perfectly, and the 066 wrist pin bearing is a 12x17x14.5. Only difference on the piston is the 066 skirt is .020 shorter.
Let me know your thoughts.

I don't know about the bearing, I'm sure someone on this site does though. Are you talking about swapping the piston too? First you talk about the pin and bearing but then mention the piston is a bit different.. The 066 piston is only 54mm. Unless you use a Big Bore piston. If the skirt is .020 shorter you'll gain some intake duration which will be good and I bet it will be fine on the exhaust side. But also the 066 pistons are flat where the 056 uses a domed piston.

Try the classifieds for a bearing. Does the regular 056 or 045 pin bearing not swap over?

I became a fan of this series after a neighbor introduced me to them. My first one of these was a near-new 045 Super that just needed a new set of rings, the full wrap a/v piece, and the recoil pawls reversed. It pulls a 36 x 3/8 bar like it wasn't even there through the local pine and fir. My second one was an alcohol racer that blew out a ring and the ring seat when I was turning the flywheel over by hand. I've yet to put a piston in it as working on race saws scares me. Finally, my brother was given a Super II that he passed on to the neighbor who turned us on to these as both of his died. The saw ran twice, then had compression drop to 60 psi and is living on his bench. His two saws both died sad deaths. One (an 045 Super Madsens hot rod) had the big end bearing give out and the piston beat the cylinder to death. The second (an 056 mag) met a 3 foot dia log on its way downhill head on and had the crankcase get busted up. P.S. Are the proline 56mm pistons any good? OEM ones are hard to find and pretty expensive if you do find them. I just can't justify spending over $100 for a piston on a saw I never ran.
IMG_3673.jpegIMG_3675.jpegIMG_4078.jpeg

I don't know about the bearing, I'm sure someone on this site does though. Are you talking about swapping the piston too? First you talk about the pin and bearing but then mention the piston is a bit different.. The 066 piston is only 54mm. Unless you use a Big Bore piston. If the skirt is .020 shorter you'll gain some intake duration which will be good and I bet it will be fine on the exhaust side. But also the 066 pistons are flat where the 056 uses a domed piston.

Try the classifieds for a bearing. Does the regular 056 or 045 pin bearing not swap over?
Yes I'll be using a meteor 56mm big bore 066 piston kit. Comes complete with piston, pin, caber rings, cir clips, and wrist pin bearing. Thru HL Supply. 56 bucks.
I've done extensive searching for the 056 pin bearing with no luck. I've found some "used" but I prefer a new one.
Also I believe the 066 56mm big bore piston is domed. And its lighter than the 056 56mm piston as well as the 066 wrist pin is also lighter than the 056 wrist pin so there should also be some mild performance gains there as well.
And no the pin bearing will not swap over it would be "sloppy" due to being 13mm and not 12mm.
And the exhaust side works perfect. No free port.
I became a fan of this series after a neighbor introduced me to them. My first one of these was a near-new 045 Super that just needed a new set of rings, the full wrap a/v piece, and the recoil pawls reversed. It pulls a 36 x 3/8 bar like it wasn't even there through the local pine and fir. My second one was an alcohol racer that blew out a ring and the ring seat when I was turning the flywheel over by hand. I've yet to put a piston in it as working on race saws scares me. Finally, my brother was given a Super II that he passed on to the neighbor who turned us on to these as both of his died. The saw ran twice, then had compression drop to 60 psi and is living on his bench. His two saws both died sad deaths. One (an 045 Super Madsens hot rod) had the big end bearing give out and the piston beat the cylinder to death. The second (an 056 mag) met a 3 foot dia log on its way downhill head on and had the crankcase get busted up. P.S. Are the proline 56mm pistons any good? OEM ones are hard to find and pretty expensive if you do find them. I just can't justify spending over $100 for a piston on a saw I never ran.
View attachment 829124View attachment 829125View attachment 829126
You'll have a hard time finding a new wrist pin bearing for the 056 56mm piston. The fix is to put an 066 56mm big bore piston, wrist pin, and wrist pin bearing in it. You can get a Meteor piston kit from HL Supply for 56 bucks.

Any 066 piston will be flat. If you simply put a BB 066 piston in a 056 mag compression will be terrible. I have no clue if there's enough material in the squish band to machine it flat. How much do you plan to run the saw? I'd just reuse the one you have.

You'll be surprised what NOS parts guy have on this site. Anything less than easy to find part I was able to find here by just asking.

Any 066 piston will be flat. If you simply put a BB 066 piston in a 056 mag compression will be terrible. I have no clue if there's enough material in the squish band to machine it flat. How much do you plan to run the saw? I'd just reuse the one you have.
Hmmm!??? Your right. After looking closer at that piston it does appear flat. Its mostly gonna be a shelf queen. It's not gonna be a "work" saw or anything like that. I've got my 038 magnum for that.
What about the 066 56mm pop up piston?

Hmmm!??? Your right. After looking closer at that piston it does appear flat. Its mostly gonna be a shelf queen. It's not gonna be a "work" saw or anything like that. I've got my 038 magnum for that.
What about the 066 56mm pop up piston?
I really appreciate your advice and info.

This is correct. 045 plain=50mm (non-pinned 'floating' 1mm rings). 045 'AV'=52mm (pinned 1.5mm rings, as are all subsequent models). 045 Super=54mm. 056 'AV'=52mm. 056 Super=54mm (but with 'swept' transfer ports). 056 Magnum=54mm (but with 'swept' transfer ports and larger exhaust port). 056 Magnum II=56mm (non-'swept' transfers).
I just found this tidbit from one of the stihl guru’s. Hopefully this answers everyone’s questions.

I didn't even notice you were the poster lol. There we go, best confirmation we could get. Straight from the source.

Also - since then I found another early 045 50mm piston that used one floating 1mm ring and one pinned 2mm ring, which is the strangest configuration I've seen in a 'modern' saw.

Maybe. Would have to try. If you want to get rid of your stock piston let me know. Woodslasher needs one.
Its hammered and I wouldn't feel right about giving it to somebody. It might be salvageable but don't think so. I raced motocross for almost 15 years and built and blew up my fair share of yz and rm 125s. Not that I'm an expert or know more than anyone else just thru my experience the piston is pretty hammered or I would reuse it.

Hmm, so does a magnum have the same bolt pattern as a super or a mag ii? A neighbor has a squished mag with a good slug and jug and a blown 045 super with good cases and he wants to combine the best of both worlds. If his mag cylinder won‘t bolt up I have a good 54mm cylinder I’d swap him which might solve my piston problem too.

I just found this tidbit from one of the stihl guru’s. Hopefully this answers everyone’s questions.
Perfect!!!! Thanks bud!!!!! A lot of people here arguing about the 056 magnum and 056 magnum II but nobody has any real concrete answers. Seems that when you ask "ok well what is the difference between the 056 magnum and 056 magnum II" nothing but crickets.
That's GREAT information woodslasher. Thanks I really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back