Stihl 056 Magnum Build!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also - since then I found another early 045 50mm piston that used one floating 1mm ring and one pinned 2mm ring, which is the strangest configuration I've seen in a 'modern' saw.
I have a first gen 045. With the big raised letters and funky hand guard. It’s a 50mm too. I’ve also had a few 056s, several supers 045/056, and just this one magnum. I still have about four 045/056s. They’re just all in pieces. I could easily build two nice ones out of them. But eh....

It was a typo. By the time I saw it, it was too late to edit.

And the early 50mm bore second ring’s a standard 1.5mm/0.059”, not 2mm thick.

I have a few 50s that I still use, and have purchased & installed spare 2nd position Caber rings from Definitive Dave that were correctly 1.5mm thickness.

The 1mm thick top ring is a butt ended pinned design, not free floating, & the midget sized keeper pin is centered in the land groove.

The 50mm can be tuned for a higher RPM, they just don’t have the grunt of the larger bored 54 & 56mm saws.

9A640596-FCDA-4326-B22A-44272D1F8C59.jpeg

Hmm, so does a magnum have the same bolt pattern as a super or a mag ii? A neighbor has a squished mag with a good slug and jug and a blown 045 super with good cases and he wants to combine the best of both worlds. If his mag cylinder won‘t bolt up I have a good 54mm cylinder I’d swap him which might solve my piston problem too.
I believe the early 056 magnum was a 54mm bore and has the cooling fine that are cut at an angle

I believe the early 056 magnum was a 54mm bore and has the cooling fine that are cut at an angle
There is a Stihl technical bulletin for the 56 mag. Tried but couldn't download it for you. Has a bunch of good info in it. Go the the beg for manuals thread and ask. That's where I got it.

There is a Stihl technical bulletin for the 56 mag. Tried but couldn't download it for you. Has a bunch of good info in it. Go the the beg for manuals thread and ask. That's where I got it.

I told him that in another thread a few days ago (https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/056-magnum-exhaust-question.63662/).

I don’t think he comprehends, and also won’t listen to your answers because the same questions are posted to other websites.

I’m unwatching all of these threads.

Can someone tell me what the thickness of the mag ii piston rings? I’d like to get a set of caber rings for my saw but neither the 56x1.2mm or the 56x1.5mm caber ring listings say they’ll fit on a mag ii.

I told him that in another thread a few days ago (https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/056-magnum-exhaust-question.63662/).

I don’t think he comprehends, and also won’t listen to your answers because the same questions are posted to other websites.

Hey hotshot not sure if you saw

Hey hotshot not sure if that's directed at me, I don't think it is because I'm not on any other sites, but I'm just asking lots of questions because I don't know and I would like to know. I might repeat questions but that's only because I didn't fully understand the answer. Anyway I really appreciate your advice and insight into my quest.

Well, a 56mm proline piston and a fuel line for my 048 are en route to me! My 056 Mag II might be running sooner than I thought! On a side note, I talked with my neighbor tonight and based on both of our memories he has a steel full-wrapped, 54mm 056 Magnum with black lettering on the tag, not orange. I don’t have a serial number for it, but I’m thinking the really, really early 056 mag’s might have been re-badged supers? Or maybe we’re both wrong and it’s 56mm.

Well, a 56mm proline piston and a fuel line for my 048 are en route to me! My 056 Mag II might be running sooner than I thought! On a side note, I talked with my neighbor tonight and based on both of our memories he has a steel full-wrapped, 54mm 056 Magnum with black lettering on the tag, not orange. I don’t have a serial number for it, but I’m thinking the really, really early 056 mag’s might have been re-badged supers? Or maybe we’re both wrong and it’s 56mm.

Latest posts

Back