Stihl 056 Magnum Build!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happened to forget a problem I encountered on my mag while I was putting a v-stack on it. The fuel cap‘s screw in vent had come out of it’s hole by 3/8 of an inch. I shrugged it off and pushed it back in place, but as soon as both carb nuts were loose it began to dump fuel all over the place from an unknown place, but it stopped before I saw where it was coming from. Any idea why the cap that won’t vent?

I talked with my neighbor tonight and based on both of our memories he has a steel full-wrapped, 54mm 056 Magnum with black lettering on the tag, not orange. I don’t have a serial number for it, but I’m thinking the really, really early 056 mag’s might have been re-badged supers? Or maybe we’re both wrong and it’s 56mm.

If anyone has any photos, owners manuals, workshop manuals, IPLs etc or any genuine Stihl literature regarding the Stihl 056 Magnum I with a 54mm bore, please post it.

If anyone has any photos, owners manuals, workshop manuals, IPLs etc or any genuine Stihl literature regarding the Stihl 056 Magnum I with a 54mm bore, please post it.
Would sure hate to confuse anyone here with any facts. LOL

Here's an interesting explanation that I've heard before. Turned up with a minimal search. It's always been my understanding that the Mag II was its own animal from its introduction and the Mag was simply enhanced marketing for the Super as explained below. If they did it in Canada, it's pretty safe to assume they did it in the States, too. Perhaps @trappermike is still around and will chime in...

How many of you have seen an 056 Magnum, not a Mag II? For about a year before the Mag II came out, Stihl (In Canada at least), provided an upgrade kit for the 056 Super, the "Magnum kit", which us dealers installed on new 056 Supers. The kit included a modified air filter for a little better air flow, the carb cover with the two lower air notches opened up from factory, instructions on how to advance the timing, and a brand new nameplate for the top of the saw that said 056 Magnum. No ready made Magnums were ever sold to us by Stihl, just the conversion kits.

Here is the official Stihl Technical Note Release for the introduction of the Magnum II as included in my version of the official 056 Tech Note Revision History. There were obviously other subsequent Mag II changes along the way, but this is the introduction of the basic initial engineering/design changes -- most notably with no reference to a "Magnum" anywhere regarding previous models. Also of note in the Revision History is earlier reference to the modified air filter assembly mentioned above for the 056 Super -- minus the timing advance and name plate changes. Seems pretty clear that the 056 Magnum was never an actual 1115 series production model, but simply a feature upgrade version of the Super at the dealer level until the official introduction of the Mag II. That would obviously make it the last revision of the 54mm saw with the Mag II being the only true 56mm version. The proof of a Mag II will always be in the crankcase and top end regardless of what someone tells you, what the top cover says, or whatever other 'indicators' may be present. The 1115 series has gone through more changes throughout its production than most models -- with a remarkable backward compatibility of interchangeable parts depending on any number of previous upgrades and modifications to any given saw. That obviously adds considerable confusion to the issue. But just because a saw has a certain muffler doesn't mean much more than it has that particular muffler. Serial numbers can tell you a lot about your particular variant, but everything I know and understand says a Mag II is not a Magnum -- or vice-versa. Until proven otherwise (which is entirely possible given enough actual facts), I stand by my current understanding and simply offer it for general consumption and discussion on a take it or leave it basis. But if you're too lazy to do your own research and provide actual facts to support your position, don't argue about it! LOL

Mag II Intro.jpg

Mag II Specs.jpg

Any idea why the cap that won’t vent?
Either plugged or the tank is venting elsewhere instead. There were a couple different styles of cap vents during this era of saws. Most can still be serviced with readily available OEM parts. Some can't. Lots of used fuel caps are still out there since everything from 041's to 076's used the same style cap. Most are pricey, tho. I'd also wonder about the vent in any of em. There's a decent aftermarket replacement cap available now from customchainsawparts for around $15. He sells a ton of em. Must work.

Here's an interesting explanation that I've heard before. Turned up with a minimal search. It's always been my understanding that the Mag II was its own animal from its introduction and the Mag was simply enhanced marketing for the Super as explained below. If they did it in Canada, it's pretty safe to assume they did it in the States, too. Perhaps @trappermike is still around and will chime in...

Here is the official Stihl Technical Note Release for the introduction of the Magnum II as included in my version of the official 056 Tech Note Revision History. There were obviously other subsequent Mag II changes along the way, but this is the introduction of the basic initial engineering/design changes -- most notably with no reference to a "Magnum" anywhere regarding previous models. Also of note in the Revision History is earlier reference to the modified air filter assembly mentioned above for the 056 Super -- minus the timing advance and name plate changes. Seems pretty clear that the 056 Magnum was never an actual 1115 series production model, but simply a feature upgrade version of the Super at the dealer level until the official introduction of the Mag II. That would obviously make it the last revision of the 54mm saw with the Mag II being the only true 56mm version. The proof of a Mag II will always be in the crankcase and top end regardless of what someone tells you, what the top cover says, or whatever other 'indicators' may be present. The 1115 series has gone through more changes throughout its production than most models -- with a remarkable backward compatibility of interchangeable parts depending on any number of previous upgrades and modifications to any given saw. That obviously adds considerable confusion to the issue. But just because a saw has a certain muffler doesn't mean much more than it has that particular muffler. Serial numbers can tell you a lot about your particular variant, but everything I know and understand says a Mag II is not a Magnum -- or vice-versa. Until proven otherwise (which is entirely possible given enough actual facts), I stand by my current understanding and simply offer it for general consumption and discussion on a take it or leave it basis. But if you're too lazy to do your own research and provide actual facts to support your position, don't argue about it! LOL

I'm not sure why you quoted my post in your reply to this thread?

It certainly wasn't intended as a jab at you if that's how it appeared. Quite the contrary, and apologies if that's how it was taken.

I think we all would like to see any legitimate documentation specifically addressing the 'Magnum I' (regardless of piston size) instead of the unicorn stories and 'authoritative statements' we've grown to expect whenever the subject comes up..., which I sort of viewed as your challenge to anyone who could answer the bell. I just did so in a fairly lengthy and roundabout way based on the official information I do have that mentions exactly nothing about the 'Magnum/Magnum i" -- and which seemed like the basic premise/challenge of your post and the point of mine. I could be way off base there of course, so forgive me if I am.

Perhaps I should have just responded like this instead.

There isn't any.

One of my "Observations" Later models of the Supers had SEM ignition and the Bar studs were bigger at the case end. Also I have maybe 20 - 045 through 056 MAGII saws and all the Mag II SERIAL NUMBERS start with 114 xxx xxx or higher, and ARE 56MM My (Later) SUPERs with the sem and larger bar studs are 113 xxx xxx and 54MM
I like your way of saying, My observation so take it or leave it.. So "DITTO"
Anyone with one of those Super 054MM conversions to Magnum 056 P/C mentioned above would be intriguing to see.

Without proper documentation its hard to say about the early 056 magnums. The one in this thread appeared all original. Had the sem magnum specific ignition, quickstop, magnum muffler, and 56mm top end. The only thing it didn't have compared to the magnum II was the rear exhaust deflector, and the hump over the kill switch. I wonder if its a matter of the earliest 056 magnums were still 54mm and the later received the bigger top end. Wouldn't be the first time a saw company used up parts, ultimately confusing us all several years later. One thing i'm pretty sure about is when stihl makes a change to a saws name there is a reason for it. Why call a saw magnum if its the same saw as a super? I'll have to check serial numbers. I still have four or five saws in my possession.

Dowdski stop spatting out information like it's fact. Send Jockey a PM it's that simple.

Without proper documentation its hard to say about the early 056 magnums. The one in this thread appeared all original. Had the sem magnum specific ignition, quickstop, magnum muffler, and 56mm top end. The only thing it didn't have compared to the magnum II was the rear exhaust deflector, and the hump over the kill switch. I wonder if its a matter of the earliest 056 magnums were still 54mm and the later received the bigger top end. Wouldn't be the first time a saw company used up parts, ultimately confusing us all several years later. One thing i'm pretty sure about is when stihl makes a change to a saws name there is a reason for it. Why call a saw magnum if its the same saw as a super? I'll have to check serial numbers. I still have four or five saws in my possession.

Dowdski stop spatting out information like it's fact. Send Jockey a PM it's that simple.
My apologies yotaismygame.
Thanks for the info on how to contact Jockey. I'm new to the site so I'm pretty ignorant on how it all works. Again my apologies.

Back