Stihl 056 super barn findfind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently found this 056 super in a barn. Looks like in solid shape. I thought if I could get her running I could use it as the power head for a chainsaw mill.

20150820_174447.jpg

20150820_174428.jpg 20150820_174433.jpg 20150820_222310.jpg 20150823_184021.jpg

So I put a few drops of oil in the cylinder and have started cleaning. Is there any thing you guys do to, or a check list of what to check when you try and get these old girls running.

A GOOD place to begin checkout on those is to test for spark. If no spark, it may have been put in the barn for a reason. That models is known to have ignition issues.

Next, check for a scored piston/cylinder by inspecting after you've taken off the muffler.

If you have spark, put a few drops of mix in the cylinder and see if she'll go ..

Getting the top cover/handle off will be your next step after checking spark. Use a good tool to remove the clip holding the throttle or you'll lose it.

^^ what he said. I assume he means the 2 e clips holding the throttle and choke linkage to carb. I lost one... I'm in the process of fixing a 056 super with no spark. There's plenty of info on this site to get her going , just have to use the search function and read. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Well she has spark and is cleaning up nicely. Not long and we'll see if she will fire up. Thanks for the info.
I did see that the bosh ignition can be a problem. But I never did find what you can use to replace it if it is bad.

20150823_185007.jpg
20150823_204500.jpg
20150823_204912.jpg
20150823_204938.jpg
20150823_205152.jpg

Attachments

• 20150823_204912.jpg
    20150823_204912.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
So I put a few drops of oil in the cylinder and have started cleaning. Is there any thing you guys do to, or a check list of what to check when you try and get these old girls running.
I prefer to disassemble and clean the entire saw, ESPECIALLY if putting it to work on a mill. IIRC, one or both crank seals are NLA.

I prefer to disassemble and clean the entire saw, ESPECIALLY if putting it to work on a mill. IIRC, one or both crank seals are NLA.
I am.afraid this may be over my ability. Especially sense I do not fully understand what you are talking about

Wow that does not sound good is there any other way to tell other then disassembly and inspection. Would you be able to tell in how it runs?
If the seals are bad you will have an air leak that will quickly lead to a roached piston and cylinder.

Wow that does not sound good is there any other way to tell other then disassembly and inspection. Would you be able to tell in how it runs?

Pressure and vacuum test it, but given the saw has been sitting you would be wise to do preventive maintenance up front.

Ok I got her started. I have not checked the seals or got in to her. I need to find a local guru. I ran almost a full tank threw her chewing up a nice red oak. She starts 3 pulls from cold running 37-1 stihl synthetic and premium gas. What do you think did into her more or just run her till she dies?

You are probably right. I am not very mechanically inclined. I watched a you tube video on tuning a 290. Thought I might try that.

Ok I got her started. I have not checked the seals or got in to her. I need to find a local guru. I ran almost a full tank threw her chewing up a nice red oak. She starts 3 pulls from cold running 37-1 stihl synthetic and premium gas. What do you think did into her more or just run her till she dies?

Sounds rich. It's not a bad idea to have someone tune it for you. Its also hard to say what condition the fuel line may be in. Recommendations have been made to give it the once over. Replacing the fuel line and filter, and making sure the air filter is ok is a great idea.

Back