Stihl 064 carb mounting question???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jockeydeuce

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been studying the 064 manual and IPL and can't figure this out. There was a change up on the intake boot and carb sealing at some point, but they aren't clear about it.

I'm trying to put a saw together out of a pile of basket cases and I believe I'm using the early intake boot. Here's a pic of the one I'm using. The rubber "face" is larger on this one.

IMG_3724.jpg

Does it just use this plate with the gasket to go against the carb????...Or are there other parts used??

IMG_3725.jpg

This is other type (I think later style with the metal ring around the boot)....I'm not using this style.

IMG_3726.jpg

i can go look at mine, i only run a uni filter, but what are you wanting me to look at?\
btw i need one of those brass plate/spring things that holds the switch in place and shuts the saw off. got one?

i can go look at mine, i only run a uni filter, but what are you wanting me to look at?\
btw i need one of those brass plate/spring things that holds the switch in place and shuts the saw off. got one?

I think I got this dilemma figured out on the carb mounting.....It looks like the early one just used the steel plate and the gasket between the carb and boot..

I should have an extra switch spring....I'll send you a PM on that.

Jockey, they both use the outer ring like in this pic

IMG_3726.jpg

The solid plate uses a gasket between the carb and the plate and the smaller inner ring does not. :cheers:

IMG_3726.jpg

The solid plate uses a gasket between the carb and the plate and the smaller inner ring does not. :cheers:

Oh crap!!...Now I'm confused. With the early intake boot in my first pic the rubber face is big enough that the steel ring won't go around the rubber, so the plate and the ring would be steel on steel, and we know it can't seal like that. I'll have to take the carb back off, have another beer and think about it.:givebeer:

IMG_3726.jpg

The 064 I worked on last year didn't have the outer ring and went together like Jockey described in Post#4. IPL isn't too clear on the exact set of plates/gaskets/rings which go with each saw. Relevant numbers on IPL are 40-43. Looks like early models use different mounting bolts for the carb but they should already be in the housing.
Jockey PM me your email if you want a copy of my IPL as there are lots of different versions floating around.

The 064 I worked on last year didn't have the outer ring and went together like Jockey described in Post#4. IPL isn't too clear on the exact set of plates/gaskets/rings which go with each saw. Relevant numbers on IPL are 40-43. Looks like early models use different mounting bolts for the carb but they should already be in the housing.
Jockey PM me your email if you want a copy of my IPL as there are lots of different versions floating around.

Thanks, Maico

I'm glad to hear I'm not on glue!!:D....Like you said the IPL is extremely unclear!

Another thing they don't show in the IPL is that the whole plastic carb box is different between the early and late 064's, The early style has a recess where the end of the intake boot fits, and the late ones are relatively flat.

I think my IPL is the same as yours ....40-43 are replaced by the later stuff, but it doesn't actually tell you that.:dizzy:

Oh yeah......I just found out there are early and late mufflers too! The early one is deeper and the later ones won't work without maybe a spacer between the cylinder and the muffler.......I think that also means there's a crankcase or cylinder change along the way too.:censored:

I've been studying the 064 manual and IPL and can't figure this out. There was a change up on the intake boot and carb sealing at some point, but they aren't clear about it.

I'm trying to put a saw together out of a pile of basket cases and I believe I'm using the early intake boot. Here's a pic of the one I'm using. The rubber "face" is larger on this one.

IMG_3724.jpg

Does it just use this plate with the gasket to go against the carb????...Or are there other parts used??

IMG_3725.jpg

This is other type (I think later style with the metal ring around the boot)....I'm not using this style.

IMG_3726.jpg
correct me if Im wrong but I think the full flanged one is for the heated handle model
I have an 064 in pieces that is complete. I dismantled it before the crank bearing seat in the case
got jepordised Im in Peachland

@jockeydeuce , you are correct. Early ones used just the boot with the steel collar that goes between the carb and a gasket. The later ones used the flange inside the boot and the ring that goes around the studs. Cant mix and match. The earlier carb box has got to use the earlier intake boot aling with the early intake setup. The later is for the later boot and later setup. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out why I had a leak when somebody used the early boot with the later setup when I first got into 064's. And with all the different coils and flywheels, you better learn quick...

This thread was started over 10 years ago so....I hope they still do?

But a correct version of 064 parts list should show all versions of the setup hopefully.

i have the ipl but they show every option available in the book. its hard to figure which configuration goes with each different model type (early vs. newer models)

i have an early model 064. but i cant figure out the order between all these different washers/rings/sleeves/gaskets.

if someone had a picture of theyre saws intake setup itd be very helpful. i have an idea of whats wrong but id like to confirm it before throwin parts at it.

Back