Stihl 064 ... highest power to weight of any big saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An 064 only weighs 5 oz more than a 046. As far as the 7900 is concerned, can you bolt a 93 or 99cc topend on it? Didn't think so:) Is there a factory bolt on unlimited coil available for your saw? Nope? Are dealers around the corner anywhere in America? Nope again. I'll take the 064. 99cc right here, baby!

1174756261_FUXTw-M.jpg

1174755670_QJxMv-L.jpg

That is a nice looking 064BB there Brad... Thinking about doing a little porting on mine... and MAYBE screwing it up and having to put on a BB kit... <evil laugh>

An 064 only weighs 5 oz more than a 046. As far as the 7900 is concerned, can you bolt a 93 or 99cc topend on it? Didn't think so:) Is there a factory bolt on unlimited coil available for your saw? Nope? Are dealers around the corner anywhere in America? Nope again. I'll take the 064. 99cc right here, baby!

That saw looks brand new. Nice work.......

My understanding is the 064's were unreliable due to the cranks snapping off on the flywheel side. The early 066 also had similar issues, it had to do with the heavy flywheel and too small of a crank, that's one of the reasons they went to a lightweight plastic flywheel.

I ran a strong 064 for quite a bit and I liked it, but I'd never trade it for a 7900, it's just not a modern or refined saw.

1174756261_FUXTw-M.jpg

1174755670_QJxMv-L.jpg

Brad: What setup do you have for the muffler on your BB 064? How can I best increase breathing on the exhaust side of the 064 BB when going from 85cc to 99cc? Will the 066/660 dual-port cover bolt on to the 064 muffler?

Thanks,

Olyeller

it's easy to weight ... but but but ... hard to get access to a calibrated known to be accurate scales. then factor pita of getting ALL fluids out of chainsaw to get an accurate reading.

weighting 064 and 046 side by side with the same scale produces believable weight differences. 064 being 5oz heavier than 046 is very believable. besides what scales says... have ran 046 and 064 side by side for a number of years.

factory spec's listed in promo's are notorious for fudge factor. but weights listed in model specific owners manual tend to be more believable.

did a bit more digging and found an original Stihl 046 owners manual which list weight of 046 at 6.5Kg or 14.3lbs (14lb 5oz)

so 064 should weight 14lb 10oz ... where's sawtroll when you need em?
he's the acknowledged keeper of data like this....

Last edited:
My understanding is the 064's were unreliable due to the cranks snapping off on the flywheel side. The early 066 also had similar issues, it had to do with the heavy flywheel and too small of a crank, that's one of the reasons they went to a lightweight plastic flywheel.

I ran a strong 064 for quite a bit and I liked it, but I'd never trade it for a 7900, it's just not a modern or refined saw.

Never heard of 064's snapping off cranks, it was the 066 as when 066
came out the fly wheel was made wider for better cooling. Out of the
2 dozen or so early 066's I have had my hands on I have yet to find one
with the crank broken off. I know it did happen, I just have never seen
one in person.

TT

Never heard of 064's snapping off cranks, it was the 066 as when 066
came out the fly wheel was made wider for better cooling. Out of the
2 dozen or so early 066's I have had my hands on I have yet to find one
with the crank broken off. I know it did happen, I just have never seen
one in person.

The 064 flywheel is significantly smaller and lighter than an 066 flywheel. I see that as a good thing, and am not too concerned about it. Also, it's just as modern as the current MS660 and MS460, two of the most loved saws in the Stihl lineup.

Alot of the 064's are 15-20+ years old I will like to see if the 7900's hold up that long. I have run a 7900 a little, but I prefer my 064 or 046.

true enough ... that's why the remaining super clean Stihl 064's are so desirable. mine is low hours and dead stock.

sure it's tempting to do a big bore 99cc kit. but lack of power has never been an issue. leaving my low hours 064 alone. saving BB kit for next 064 that comes my way.

seems Dolmar 7900 is main contender to 064 in PW ratio. not bad for a 15+ year old saw.

ergonomics decides who like which saw anyways. my preference is Stihl vs all others I've tried so far. 064 feels/operates just like any current pro model Stihl.

since 064 came before 066 ... 064, 024, etc were the front runners for the modern Stihl ergonomics. does anyone know which model came out first? 064, 024 of the 0 series?

sure glad marketing folks has not managed to screw up a good thing.. yet...

Alot of the 064's are 15-20+ years old I will like to see if the 7900's hold up that long. I have run a 7900 a little, but I prefer my 064 or 046.

I have one of each, the 064 is stock and the 7900 was until last night when forced to put the Bailey's kit on it. The 7900 will get tested this weekend...but I can say that the 7900 is smooth, but the 064 is too! I like them both, been picking one of them over 044 lately. The 7900 with 20" is like a light saber!

I bought my 064 last spring because I had a large ash that I needed to cut, and I have a large oak in the yard that is going to need to come down. I was looking for an 046 at the time, and only because I didn't have the $$ for an 066. I stumbled across the 064 without knowing much about it. The guy selling it was the same that I bought my 036 from. I had asked about the saw on here, and didn't get much for replies. I did a quick search which came up rather empty. The saw was $375 with a 28" bar and a full comp 404 chain. I figured for my limited usage, even if it wasn't the best saw, it would do the job for that price. MAN am I glad that I bought it! Turns out that the guy had built it and went ahead and put an 066 top end on it (wish it had actually be a big bore, but thats okay). It is now working very well as my highly portable log splitter, and I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside every time I read a post like this. Makes me wonder why Stihl ever bothered making an 066 instead of just increasing the bore on the 064.

Thanks for the smile,
Mark

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drank.

From the research I've done on this and other sites, it's pretty common knowledge the 064's had weak cranks, bearings, and cases. That's why they were so light, and why the 066/660 weighs more.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drank.

From the research I've done on this and other sites, it's pretty common knowledge the 064's had weak cranks, bearings, and cases. That's why they were so light, and why the 066/660 weighs more.

They increased the big end rod bearing from 12 to 13 rollers in the 066. That change was made while the metal flywheel was being used. If concerned, this crank can be used in the 064. That eliminates any crank concerns. The other bearings and cases were never an issue that I'm aware of. They increased the size of the flywheel side crank bearing to accomodate the larger stub needed for the larger and heavier 066 flywheel. Again, this should not be a concern with the smaller and lighter 064 flywheel. If still concerned, then simply use a later 066 metal flywheel case and crank and use the 064 flywheel and starter housing.

064, one of the best saws ever built- period. Not saying that it is better than this, that, or the other. But compare the weight, power, and longevity of this saw to any other and the 064 will still shine through. Ive had a few of them, I only have one left and it will never leave.

They increased the big end rod bearing from 12 to 13 rollers in the 066. That change was made while the metal flywheel was being used. If concerned, this crank can be used in the 064. That eliminates any crank concerns. The other bearings and cases were never an issue that I'm aware of. They increased the size of the flywheel side crank bearing to accomodate the larger stub needed for the larger and heavier 066 flywheel. Again, this should not be a concern with the smaller and lighter 064 flywheel. If still concerned, then simply use a later 066 metal flywheel case and crank and use the 064 flywheel and starter housing.

If you have to do all that I think it would just be easier to get a 660. That way everything is stock and you don't have to worry about any issues down the line. :cheers: The 064 and 066/660 are pretty much the same saws correct? if so the 066/660 is simply an improved 064. Am I correct in assuming this?

BTW Hi Brad!:D

064, one of the best saws ever built- period. Not saying that it is better than this, that, or the other. But compare the weight, power, and longevity of this saw to any other and the 064 will still shine through. Ive had a few of them, I only have one left and it will never leave.

No saw is the best saw ever built period.

You guys sure have your Stihl goggles on in this thread.:hmm3grin2orange:

Back