Stihl 064 ... highest power to weight of any big saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An 064 only weighs 5 oz more than a 046. As far as the 7900 is concerned, can you bolt a 93 or 99cc topend on it? Didn't think so:) Is there a factory bolt on unlimited coil available for your saw? Nope? Are dealers around the corner anywhere in America? Nope again. I'll take the 064. 99cc right here, baby!

1174756261_FUXTw-M.jpg

1174755670_QJxMv-L.jpg

:rock: I would love to try that thing out.

brouht your saw

In my search for another 064 to build myself, I ended up with two. The one being sold I just listed on eBay, LINK. If interested, PM me and maybe we can work a deal for you.

1177590694_NcqEo-M.jpg

1177590998_B3ftz-M.jpg

I brought your saw on ebay, mostly as a toy. I just got burned buying a 390 in a parking lot off craightslist “3 year old saw work great” any way a brought a service and owner’s manual and short story the saw was old had no clutch hub bearing or retainer and the oil gear was broken and spark sleeve threads striped. I replace all the above with a new clutch, clutch hub sprocket, air cleaner, and spark plug. I rushed into buying a saw because a 48” oak came down at my town center and free for fire wood just need to cut it up. Once I got the 390 working, I got about 5 cord which will last three years. I got almost as much into my 390 as I just paid for your saw and now that it working will resell
jon

I brought your saw on ebay, mostly as a toy. I just got burned buying a 390 in a parking lot off craightslist “3 year old saw work great” any way a brought a service and owner’s manual and short story the saw was old had no clutch hub bearing or retainer and the oil gear was broken and spark sleeve threads striped. I replace all the above with a new clutch, clutch hub sprocket, air cleaner, and spark plug. I rushed into buying a saw because a 48” oak came down at my town center and free for fire wood just need to cut it up. Once I got the 390 working, I got about 5 cord which will last three years. I got almost as much into my 390 as I just paid for your saw and now that it working will resell
jon

Hey Jon. Welcome to the forum. Your saw will be shipped out tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it.

welcome to AS... and congrats on a fine 064!!!
unlike some questionable deals on ebay... you have just purchased a saw from a very reputable saw builder.

jon

another blast from the past ...064 is still running strong!
Absolutely! I still use a 064 though I have had the odd small issue with it, never anything I couldn’t fix myself.
The last one I bought had a misdiagnosed ‘failed crank bearing’
The actual problem was the flywheel had popped loose and needed Re-keyed!

a 20 minute repair and a saw for half its value!

mine is I believe one of the early ones in that it has the opaque fuel tank whereas my previous one I sold on had the more translucent tank.
Great and capable saws although I’ve bow got a 661 for extra reliability/backup on large clearfells after my 064 shook its exhaust (muffler to you Americans who mess with the English language )
Apart recently (metal fatigue) it was the original OEM one from new!

keep well folks
SG in Bonny Scotland

The 064 is a Classic

I'm not sure about the highest power to weight, but it has to have one of the best. Count me in at the 064 Fan Club.

I don't use it too much anymore, but I love mine. It's been bumped around a lot, but it's pretty low mileage. This saw is like the 260 for me in that it is dead reliable....it ALWAYS starts in 3 pulls.
Of course, it pulls waaaaay better :good:

attachment.php
If you got an 064 and a 260, you don’t need anything else. Of course, you want em all anyway.

Back