Stihl 064 piston in 272xp Aftermarket kit.... not a good plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Any one try that? I had a Meteor 52mm piston for a Stihl 064 and a aftermarket 272 top end.... stuck them on a Jonsered 670 after converting the carb over to pulsing through the manifold. It starts and idles.... have it noload at 13k. Haven't tried to cut anything yet. Any one ever do that and actually have a gain?? The Stihl piston is a bit taller, with no base gasket the squish was .022 on that AM cylinder. The skirt is shorter as well. Maybe to short and might mess up the intake timing to the point of issues. Don't know. Didn't put a degree wheel on it either yet. This was just trying to get a running saw out of a pile of random left overs from other projects because I was bored....

Why did you take the video down, I really wanted to see what happened.

Joe

Because I don't think that piston was from a 064. Not certain what was in that Meteor box....so until I can identify that piston the video is down and the experiment is off... :( I pulled it apart and stuck the stock piston in as the saw was a little lazy coming up on RPM's. One of the cases of I have too much junk left over from projects.... can't remember if that piston might have gone into another saw and that saws piston in that meteor box. With the piston that came with the kit the saw run crisp, not quite as good as OEM but pretty good just the same. So cut all the Piston related stuff out of the video and will repost as simply building a 670 with a 272 AM top end. And squish.

I was looking at the Meteor sites specs on the 064, I don't think its a legitimate concept which is why no one done it....SO I have to eat crow and end the concept.

Cool, looking forward to seeing it. Your videos are always very informative and fun to watch for a technical saw geek like me. Do you think the AM 272 top end runs at least as good as an OEM 268 XP? I have my buddies 268 in a box with a fried top end. He wants to put a Meteor 272 kit on it but I am a little nervous he will be disappointed with the performance.

Joe

Any one try that? I had a Meteor 52mm piston for a Stihl 064 and a aftermarket 272 top end.... stuck them on a Jonsered 670 after converting the carb over to pulsing through the manifold. It starts and idles.... have it noload at 13k. Haven't tried to cut anything yet. Any one ever do that and actually have a gain?? The Stihl piston is a bit taller, with no base gasket the squish was .022 on that AM cylinder. The skirt is shorter as well. Maybe to short and might mess up the intake timing to the point of issues. Don't know. Didn't put a degree wheel on it either yet. This was just trying to get a running saw out of a pile of random left overs from other projects because I was bored....
how did this work im gonna do a husqvarna 61 to 272 conversion will the 064 piston work do you think

Starting with a 272 top end, Two simple mods...if squish allows, no base gasket using three bond 1184 or equivalent. And get the muffler open inside. Exit thru an approximate 3/4" dia. Outlet. Either buy adding one or opening one. That along with a true 272 carb & intake will make for a real snappy saw.

Starting with a 272 top end, Two simple mods...if squish allows, no base gasket using three bond 1184 or equivalent. And get the muffler open inside. Exit thru an approximate 3/4" dia. Outlet. Either buy adding one or opening one. That along with a true 272 carb & intake will make for a real snappy saw.
is that 3/4 added an leaving the factory hole or do i close that up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Two issues that ive had to work around is the lenght of the spark plug wire...early 61's were too short for the 272 top end, and filter holder on the early 61's needed modifications
all i got is the crankcase ill be building this from that i have no other parts so i was gonna use 272 stuff all the way if i can
and what kind of carb was on those from the factory

Back