Stihl 064 with 066BB, along with a complete rebuild of the bottom end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naw, he ended up borrowing one from a guy he does sidework for. Both of the saws had problems, so he made one good one, which worked out for both of them.

I am gonna take it with me to work every once in a while just for fun. The crane crew gets into some big trees....

Great info in this thread! I have a complete 064 with a spare case on the way for a project saw. I have been trying to decide whether to use the stock 064 cylinder I have, or the MS660 cylinder I have. Im now leaning towards the OEM 660 cylinder with a Meteor piston.

I will know more about what I have when it gets here, but the pics show its gonna need cleanup at least. Plastic is faded, needs paint work done, etc. Im not big on making saws pretty, but might do that on this one since its going to be a drawn out project possibly anyway. It will be fun to have the stock rebuilt 064 I have now and compare it to the 064 with the 660 top end on it.

Great info in this thread! I have a complete 064 with a spare case on the way for a project saw. I have been trying to decide whether to use the stock 064 cylinder I have, or the MS660 cylinder I have. Im now leaning towards the OEM 660 cylinder with a Meteor piston.

I will know more about what I have when it gets here, but the pics show its gonna need cleanup at least. Plastic is faded, needs paint work done, etc. Im not big on making saws pretty, but might do that on this one since its going to be a drawn out project possibly anyway. It will be fun to have the stock rebuilt 064 I have now and compare it to the 064 with the 660 top end on it.

Swapping on the 066 top end is really easy. Slot the holes a little in the jug and you're good to go. If you want to retap the case for the 6mm jug bolts, that's easy too.

Never built a saw..hope I can get her figured out. Need to find a gas tank assembly, the handle is trashed. Someone dropped it or something fell on it.

Got a Bridgeport mill so clearancing the case and sloting should be ...pretty easy..LOL

Last edited:
I am looking into doing this same swap and I am wondering how the bottom end designed for 85cc's would stand up to 98cc's? Also whats the concencus on the quality of the new Woodland kits?

My 064 Stihl I made into 066BB & new bottom End

Hey thanks for the info On your threads not to sure how you go about making threads on this sight but time will tell lol . I would like to share my story with others can you give me some in site on how to make threads. I ran 3 tanks of fuel through her today cutting fire wood had to fine tune the carb some from my first setting The new diaframs in the carb must have broke in I guess so I dialed in the low air fuel then set the high just a skrew driver whit past the burbler for the first two tanks of fuel the saw had a nice throaty sound and a steady pull threw the wood. then on the 3 rd tank of fuel I leaned it back to the burble. Man it was Riding a dirt bike hitting the power band So sweet :cheers: Thanks again!!!

Man I hate threads like this.

I just aquired an 064 in good shape.Not a thing wrong with it.

Now I keep eyeing that 066 OEM P&C on the shelf.............

Hey just wondering how that 064 is holding up with that 064BB on it??? I did the same thing to my 064 man she sure eats up the fuel now!:cheers:

Ya, it likes to drink the fuel. Mine runs very well for stock. However, I'm pretty sure I have a coil mix up as it has ignition troubles. I plan on sorting that out soon and really putting some time behind it this summer.:clap:

For anyone wanting to attempt this project. It is intensive and will take time and money. I guess you could grind on the case without splitting it, but that will be risky. Also, if you can find a good 066 top end for the money of a BB kit, I would go that route. The BB kit is a good bang for the buck and with a few replacement parts, seems to be a good runner, but the 066 top end is a proven design and just needs to be slotted and bolted down. The BB kit needs more attention to get a runner.

Here are some more pictures:
Here is my JB weld fix on the broken dawg mount. I put a metal insert in the old hole, then applied JB around it. Then I put a layer of fiberglass over it and finished with another layer of JB. Seems strong, but only time will tell.

hpim2424.jpg

My bet up Muffler cover. Sounds great though. You can see some of the JB weld job too:

hpim2425.jpg

Looks like a normal 064.....that how I like it.;):

hpim2426.jpg

How is that JB weld and fiberglass holding up. I have a 440 with the same broken mount and planned on using JB but always wondered if it will hold. I have recently ordered the set(inside and outside) of bigger dogs to help after JB.

Did you get the other spike for the bar cover?

How is that JB weld and fiberglass holding up. I have a 440 with the same broken mount and planned on using JB but always wondered if it will hold. I have recently ordered the set(inside and outside) of bigger dogs to help after JB.

Did you get the other spike for the bar cover?

It is holding up well, no problems so far. Yes, I have the outer spike mounted now.

BTW, been using this saw up at my work (tree company) in the wood yard. We have a couple cranes and bring back the logs, this saw has been solid so far cutting some of them up.:D

It is holding up well, no problems so far. Yes, I have the outer spike mounted now.

BTW, been using this saw up at my work (tree company) in the wood yard. We have a couple cranes and bring back the logs, this saw has been solid so far cutting some of them up.:D

Good to hear, gives me hope that I may have it hold together as well when I get it done. Glad it's been a great runner for you.

BTW, I just came across this thread from a link on another thread and I was actually planning on looking for a couple steel pins that I can drill two holes the size of the pins through the broken piece and slightly into case. I would then fill the holes and crack with JB then push the pins in, finishing all that with a coat of JB. If I see that I can find small enough pins and if the case has room for me to drill I may do that to the addition of a blanket piece of fiber. We'll see when I get into it.

Last edited:
Back