Stihl 066 red light

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attached here is the good tech note on the 064/066 coils. The red light came on when the limiter kicked in. It was basically useless. The idea of the limiter was so that the 066 would not rev so high as to gain too much inertia in the AL flywheel and fly off (literally). They later changed them out to poly flywheels for that reason (less weight, less rotational energy, no fly off). It is a crazy list of variables here. My 066 Red Light had the later generic coil swapped into it, and it ran like a bat out of Hell. If you want the red light to work, you have to get the limited coil with the diode lead. Sadly mine blew the clutch side bearings, and I did not want to split the cases to fix it, so I sold it for parts. O/w it was a great saw. The engine was still in near perfect condition. The only reason that the bearing failed is that the idiot arbor business that owned it before me over-tightened the chains when they were hot. Doi! When the chain cools, it shrinks. Then more stress results on that side bearings. A phenomena beyond the capacity for many a groundie to comprehend it seems. Long bars and big saws are not for everyone.

Enjoy...

Attachments

• 066 064 coil details.pdf
    36.5 KB · Views: 32
And here is the tech note with the 064/066 coil/flywheel combo flowchart that someone posted above, but in PDF format. The 'generic' coil is the one that is dropped down from the others in the chart.

I would not swap the flywheel out, but do not go from WOT to slamming on the brake. That is when they tend to fly. I have a newer 660 now with the poly flywheel.

Attachments

• 066,064 ignition modules.pdf
    303.3 KB · Views: 22
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/064-066-ms660-18-flywheels-7-coils.282162/
Here is a great thread outlining this information as well. I had been meaning to sort this all out for some time. My redlight 066 still has the original CDIC coil in good working order but I wanted to know what my options were in the event of a failure. Pulled the flywheel yesterday to find I have the 1209 so I'm pretty much S-O-L if it fails unless I find a dual key flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Cease232! That parts list and info helped alot!

Here is some photos of the saw. Does the flywheel and coil look to be correct? I don't see an extra lead for the LED light so I am assuming someone has already swapped the coil and flywheel but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone on here can look at it and recognize more than i can.

I will pm you JMSsaws. Mainly looking for a used carburetor as the new ones from.stihl are pretty spendy. Looking for a walbro wj-67 I think.

If you still have the coil, I’ll buy that off of you.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So just curious if you got this 066 done. I have an old red light im working on and missing about the same as yours was

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back