Stihl 070 still in production

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambull

OCD Muscle Saw Collector
Reaction score
I was poking around Stihl's website. Go to stihl.com and then choose your country. When you choose different countries you get different product lines. When I chose South Africa I found a modern day version of the 070, that they now call a MS720. Pretty neat. The link is here:

MS720

Notice in the picture that it doesn't have a chain brake either.

I have heard that they also make a modern day 090, but I didn't find it. There is a new in box 090AV on Ebay right now, and it is probably not that old, but just an imported saw from some third world country.

The cc specs are a little bit higher than originally, and the saw looks like a pretty old 070, not like one from the later generation of them.......

Take a look at the Mexican web-site, the 070 still was there the last time I looked.

The cc specs are a little bit higher than originally, and the saw looks like a pretty old 070, not like one from the later generation of them.......

Take a look at the Mexican web-site, the 070 still was there the last time I looked.

I believe the cc specs to be wrong, should be 105.7cc the same as the 070. The MS720 is not available in an AV version. The only difference I am aware of when compared to late model 070s is the engine shroud and filter cover are different. The Mexican catalogue was out of date last time I looked.

I am pretty sure there is no updated version of the 090. As to whether the 070 and 090 are still produced, I don't know.

The ebay saw is ridiculous as the value is in the fact it is unused. Without the serial number all you can say is that it is newer than 1996.

The 070s and 090s surely were updated at some point, with a different rear handle and a hand-guard that looks like a chainbrake handle - at least that is the most obvious changes. The AV also look less clumsy on those saws.

Is still catalogued, meaning a pallet-load is sitting in a warehouse somewhere, the same as still being made?

Even in countries like Mexico or places like Africa, I can't imagine sales are high enough that Stihl actually assembles some new ones periodically. when the last ones are finally gone, they'll dossapear from the literature and the websites.

What I can imagine is someone offering to buy that pallet-load, partially disassembling them to get them through customs and bringing them to N. America to sell.

Right on the money Niko. They have a nice 076 too.

Actually Niko, the Stihl Mexican website I saw listed both the Stihl 070 and 076. The 070 105cc 6.5 hp the 076 111cc 7.2 hp

Last edited:
The 070s and 090s surely were updated at some point, with a different rear handle and a hand-guard that looks like a chainbrake handle - at least that is the most obvious changes. The AV also look less clumsy on those saws.

Updated 090 - see attachment.

The 070/090 AV saws were updated from this;

attachment.php

to what you see in the picture you posted.

However, the non-AV version remained largely unchanged and available throughout.
This is a picture of dave k's 070 which is newer than 1996;

181908d1304016553-001-jpg

EDIT;
I would have thought the MS720 crankcase would have the necessary mounts to attach the later style AV though. The replacement crankcase has them. So technically you could make an MS720 AV.

Last edited:
The 090 was listed on one of the large Aussie dealers sites up to about 18 months ago, but it was only for sale to the Pacific Islands, New Guinea, etc. not here.

Back