Stihl 075 mill build that’s very simple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am having good lock with archer chain. Ripping grind, 10-10-60. 404x.063.

895 Geared Mcculloch with Archer chain.

f1ZCxoR.jpg

jvql4SW.jpg

Even better performing for me is Woodlland Pro (Made by Carlton) from Baileys. 404x063, full comp, on my 090AV.

ubMa7lG.jpg

aQnSDq8.jpg

I dropped a big Cherry tree this summer and left the stump high, about 7 feet. Planning on cutting at ground level and milling it. Several big forks in the stump. Should be an interesting cut. I will take a photo and post later.

My apple trees are only about 40 years old, not big enough yet for milling! Nice wood you have there. With a large Oak that has been there for years there is bound to be metal in it.

I’m starting to think I got Into rocks or metal stuck in the bark. Ordered another 25’ of the archer chain the other night off eBay. 70$ shipped and that includes taxes. 64$ without. Going to prepare for the good size oak in post 1 today. Getting a coma long winch and stuff. Need to work on my can’t roll that I made since it needs some tweaking to grab better or I’ll just buy the bullet and buy one

Yea chains, come a longs and such are handy. I am sawing up a 34 inch diameter fir about 20 feet long today for firewood. It was cut off and dropped 25 feet up the tree and plowed into the dirt, bad news for chains. So I will cut through 2/3 of the diameter then roll the log with a come a long to get to the other third, after I pressure wash the dirt out of the bark I will start sawing..

All the logs shown in my milling photos were pulled and rolled into milling position with the come a longs. It was a big pile when I started!

Starting pile, like the old kids toy Fiddlesticks.

zoJ4Xnr.jpg

Three of the best things I bought last year:

Chain Breaker

Rivett Spinner

Super Jolly grinder.

You can order extra presets from Archer for your chain, handy if you have to do a chain repair or two.

My 075AV, making firewood rounds. Log about 32 inches in diameter. 36 inch bar, 404x.063 chain, full chisel, skip, Stihl chain.

UtUedjg.jpg

Wr2vRSH.jpg

Come a long at a tailhold tree. This old boy is at least 60 years old, my dad had it.

V5Hp3RQ.jpg

Other end of chain after I rolled the log. A slip hook at the log, it was positioned on the far off side when I started rolling the log. Lets the come a long roll the log instead of dragging it. Gets the remainder of the log at the top so I can keep the saw chain out of the dirt. I cut down into the log about half way before rolling it.

trRXJU9.jpg

Log was a good 1/3 of the way into the dirt.

dIylW0b.jpg

VsFLYGX.jpg

Seeing you mill with the 895 is awesome, how does it do compared to the 090?
We mill primarily with an 090 just like yours for the big stuff, and some assorted smaller saws for stuff under 28" wide.

I've milled with a 795 and it wasn't great, but I suspect the ambient temperature (30C+) had something to do with that.... I've got an 1130g that I had considered milling with, but haven't yet.

Latest posts

Back