Stihl 076 AV Super vs. McCulloch SP125 C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michigan Muscle

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is my first post, so I'll keep it short n' sweet. I have a question regarding a STIHL 076 AV SUPER vs. buying a MAC SP125C chainsaw. I already own 2 of the 076 AV SUPERS (for 5+ years), and they are awesome saws. Absolute beasts. I had never operated a Mac SP125C before today, but I have a guy who wants to trade his SP125 for one of my 076 AV Supers. One of my 076's is in "well used" condition, but still fully operational with great compression. The MAC SP125C the fella is wanting to trade is in good condition, good comp, runs VERY well, and seems to cut like an animal. I do like MACs quite a bit (I have an old MAC 10-10 Automatic that's been a great firewood saw for over 15 years now), so I'm definitely considering it...

Do you guys think this is a fair trade, and if not - who's getting the shaft, here?!
Thanks in advance for all your input.

Sounds pretty fair to me. I have't seen pictures of either so that would help say if it's better for one or the other.

I like the Stihl 075/076, and I think they are under-appreciated... BUT, since you have a couple- I would send that well used one down the road in a heartbeat for that SP! Personally, I would like to find a CP... Seems like all the big saws are bringing the bucks these days though.

I would trade as long as its sound mechanically. You would be getting the better deal in my opinion.

Sounds pretty fair to me. I have't seen pictures of either so that would help say if it's better for one or the other.

They are both used saws, no doubt - but they both cut like champs. I'll have to post some pics - I think I'm gonna go for the trade.

I like the Stihl 075/076, and I think they are under-appreciated... BUT, since you have a couple- I would send that well used one down the road in a heartbeat for that SP! Personally, I would like to find a CP... Seems like all the big saws are bringing the bucks these days though.

You're exactly right - the 076's ARE under-appreciated saws - but I guess that's why they stopped making them in '86. Still - I do love them. I've had zero problems with either of my 076's, and they just seem to keep on chuggin'.

I would trade as long as its sound mechanically. You would be getting the better deal in my opinion.

Given the power I felt with the 125, I think you're right. It's in good shape - piston looks good, carb even looks damn clean for being so old. I think I'll go for it.

I'd take an ugly Mac 125 any day over a pretty 076 super. When you run that Mac I doubt you'll want to run that 076 much after that. If that Mac's a runner do the trade, you won't regret it. I had a good running 076 super and it couldn't even begin to compare with my Mac.

DO it. THis is my SP125 chipping through a hackberry log at the last Iowa GTG
[video=youtube;d2wQfBA55Zw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2wQfBA55Zw[/video]

The mac125 is around 13 ccs more i think so it definately has more power. However what might be significant to note is AV, the big AV stihls actually seemed to have developed a fairly decent AV system, with the big macs i think this was lacking. If its for a collection, and using it once in a blue moon for the hell fo it, then definately go for it. However if you are using it for extended periods of time eg milling or actually cutting big wood then AV is very important. However I am not sure about this and hopefully someone else can shed more light.

I'd take an ugly Mac 125 any day over a pretty 076 super. When you run that Mac I doubt you'll want to run that 076 much after that. If that Mac's a runner do the trade, you won't regret it. I had a good running 076 super and it couldn't even begin to compare with my Mac.

Excellent. Ya, I'm about sold on the 125. I have 3 other Mac's, and they have all been workhorses. I do love Stihl's saws - no doubt about it. But my Mac's always get more attention when I'm in the field. They are just rock solid saws. Thanks for the input - and I'll be sure to post pics of the 125 once I get it home and bury it into some oak I have on my property right now.

The mac125 is around 13 ccs more i think so it definately has more power. However what might be significant to note is AV, the big AV stihls actually seemed to have developed a fairly decent AV system, with the big macs i think this was lacking. If its for a collection, and using it once in a blue moon for the hell fo it, then definately go for it. However if you are using it for extended periods of time eg milling or actually cutting big wood then AV is very important. However I am not sure about this and hopefully someone else can shed more light.

That's the thing - I'm a firewood logger, and most of the timber I'm cutting w/ my 076 is between 26-36" diameter at the base. I don't really cut "huge wood", so to speak (I'm in Michigan - not Alaska - haha). If I used the 125, it would probably be for maybe the first 6-8 cuts off each log, then I pull out my Mac 250 or my MS290 Farm Boss. Once I get down to bucking 14" or so, I always use my Mac 10-10 auto. I love that saw. Thanks for the reply!

how many hours do you have with 125s?

Back