Stihl 076 AV Super vs. McCulloch SP125 C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are only a couple chainsaws (other than gear-drives) that will out pull a 125 with 48-60 inch bars, one of them is the 797. Wrap yer grubby mitts on one of those and you will know the full on experience of old school raw power.

There are only a couple chainsaws (other than gear-drives) that will out pull a 125 with 48-60 inch bars, one of them is the 797. Wrap yer grubby mitts on one of those and you will know the full on experience of old school raw power.

I'll have to find me one of those, then.

never run or even seen one in person. But I am wondering how is the AV system on them compared to a stihl from the 80s eg 076AV, 090AV etc...

That is what I thought, basically you have no knowledge.
The AV on the CP/SP 125s worked just fine. The system was simple, easy and inexpensive to replace, the same cannot be said for the stihls. The big stihls at that time were, over-weight, over-priced and under-powered.

The AV on the CP/SP 125s worked just fine. The system was simple, easy and inexpensive to replace, the same cannot be said for the stihls. The big stihls at that time were, over-weight, over-priced and under-powered.

Word.

797s are another story, but what a trip they are!

Thank you for awnsering that, i really had no clue that the big macs had a good AV system.

Guess the overweight and underpowered thing about the big stihl and husky to is still true. According to this site: Model Profile: Super Pro125C the 125 weighs the same as a modern 880 and husky 3120 yet it is probably much better in long bar territory which is the intended purpose of all 3 i suppose yet its 35 years old

Also this is kinda offtopic but im really curious to ask what in your opinion was the most powerful and best saw ever built for 60"+ bars?? Im guessing it would be a gear drive but which exact model?

I'd guess that for non gear drives the list may go like this: Stihl 090, Mac 797, Mac 125, and Dolmar 166 . And for Gear drives: Homelite 3100 and Stihl 090G. Now I've never fun a gear drive but my Stihl 090 runs a 60" bar much faster than my Mac sp125c runs a 50" bar, and that Mac runs that 50" without effort. And my 880 when it was stock wouldn't run a 60" bar for sxxt. Later this spring or summer I'm gonna try an 84" bar on my 090 and see how it pulls it.

For milling that 076 super should be ok since you want to take it plenty slow for a nice finish. but for falling or bucking, there are tons better (faster) choices than a 075/076

I'd guess that for non gear drives the list may go like this: Stihl 090, Mac 797, Mac 125, and Dolmar 166 . And for Gear drives: Homelite 3100 and Stihl 090G. Now I've never fun a gear drive but my Stihl 090 runs a 60" bar much faster than my Mac sp125c runs a 50" bar, and that Mac runs that 50" without effort. And my 880 when it was stock wouldn't run a 60" bar for sxxt. Later this spring or summer I'm gonna try an 84" bar on my 090 and see how it pulls it.

For milling that 076 super should be ok since you want to take it plenty slow for a nice finish. but for falling or bucking, there are tons better (faster) choices than a 075/076

Don't forget the Homelite 2000/2100 in the big-bar DD class. The older 900-995D Homelites shouldn't be left out either. For the gear drives I'd say the Homelite 3100G and 900-995G saws would be tops (that's in production saws..............then there's Lee's "custom" McCulloch 797G and 101G creations that could probably pull a 10' bar wearing 3/4" harvester chain). The big bore 090G's would have to be up there of course, but don't interest me. Who ever thought hooking the governor to the CHOKE was a good idea???:D

If your SP125C is running the 50" bar without effort (but cuts slower than the 090 running a 60" bar) then I think you need to try a different chain and/or sprocket on the Mac. You're going to try an 84" bar on a DD 090 (not an 090G)? Don't kill your expensive clutch in the name of science my friend...

Just picked up an 075AV tonite for free. Upon cursory inspection it will at least need a good cleaning, bar buffing, an air filter (missing), and some rework on the rewind.

Latest posts

Back