stihl 08 08s colors question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys,
i see pictures with different things

the 08 and early points style 08s were
red handle with gray engine housing but i have seen pics with gray oil tank housings and ive
seen pics both internet and pics of stihl manuals with white oil tank housings..

can someone maybe a dealer tell me for sure what the colors were
handle/throttle housing
crank case halves
oil tanks
handle bars .. If any color other than just raw aluminum with the black sleeve

08s
08se
08seq

and maybe even pics of bars and or colors and designs on the bars

The 08's were made from about 1962-1992. There are colored pics on the internet of early ones. I have seen unadulterated old ones that were painted grey on the handlebar aside from what was covered with rubber wrap, and the starter screws painted too.
There are also pics of newer ones.
Do a search on here.
Here is a good one for reference.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/08s-restoration.62907/

Thing is they came in color variations over that 30 year run, mine has a white painted top handle and an orange rear but seen some with a more reddish rear handle and a rubber covered front one. Different switch locations, choke positions etc.

yea, mine is the early red rear cover, gray housings, with black rubber on the handle, with the aluminum handle painted gray as well, and black lettering
im gonna go with the same gray on the oil tank housing im 99.9 percent sure thats what i remember..
i think they did not start using white until the orange rear housing electronic ignition 08SE

yea i cany figure out the pattern or progression of things..it seems like when i think i have it figured out i see something completely different, like a white oil tank housing on gray engine casing 08s

I was going over one of my Sthil 08s tonite going to cut birch tomorrow.It was given to me it is a very low hour saw one owner.I doubt 50 hours.
I have been around and have saw and used a lot of 08 and 08s
From around 1963 until around 1970 the saws were red and grey with a push button shut off switch early had no trigger lock.
the Sthil badge on the rewind was the nice looking bold type Sthil.
Then the saws had orange paint and Sthil badge with orange back ground also snap ignition switch for off on these are famous for having bad connection to ground unscrew the switch and clean the metal on cover.
As far as I know all this series were painted sthil grey on the body and handle bars I never saw any white
I have saw black lettering and just plain grey.
I do not believe the early ones had handle bar coverings ,
I am not a sthil expert and the information I give is only what I have saw and is not written in stone hope it helps you.
Kash

Thanks alot.. I'm gonna go with gray on the oil cover with black lettering.. And no cover on the bar..
My saw has no trigger lock..push button stop. Early 3 hole flywheel and the matching 3 stud fan that keys into the 3 holes on the flywheel.. 404 clutch drum..raised lettering STIHL 08S and crosscut logo on the fan..so I think colors will be ok..

Last thing I'm confused on is the fan.. 1107 030 0500.. I have the one mentioned above with the 3 studs but it uses a metal starter ring.. And I have 2 others that have the same number but one is missing the 3 studs and uses plastic starter ring and the other has a centric ring that does not fit correctly on the flywheel

The 3 stud metal starter ring one did come on he 08 but I'm not sure if it came even on the earliest version of the 08s..but may have.. Then changed to plastic starter ring version without the aluminum studs on back

The one with the 3 studs was the first run flywheel that started life on the 08 and S10...

no, the one on the far left, is the one with metal starter ring..i used a dremel to but a side of it and pry it out,
the 2 to the right use plastic ring.
ill know a bit more when the 08 arrives, i can check the fan and starter ring on it.

Back