Stihl 084 Early Oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neckerson

Traveling Tree Tramp
Reaction score
First post, longtime lurker. Always been able to find the answers to my questions with a search, but now I've got one that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to.

Have an 084 with the early oil pump drive, and a cracked clutch drum. Obviously, the early style clutch drums are hard to come by.

151018893625851240369.jpg

The early 084's have the U-shaped oiler drive springs, the later ones use the same as the 088. This much I can see from the IPL's. What I can't tell is whether I can change over my early style gear and spring to the newer style, so I can use a new clutch drum.

I would assume yes, they can be swapped, but there's a lot of things that haven't worked out for me that way in the past haha.

Perfect, exactly what I was hoping for. 3 parts to order and swap. Well, more than that, but it's a start. Hopefully this'll help some other poor confused guy figure it out too.

Thank you very much Jacob J., I've found a lot of your information quite helpful over time.

Perfect, exactly what I was hoping for. 3 parts to order and swap. Well, more than that, but it's a start. Hopefully this'll help some other poor confused guy figure it out too.

Thank you very much Jacob J., I've found a lot of your information quite helpful over time.

How did u go with it I’m thinking about doing the same thing I have one newer 084 with rim sprocket and an old one with a spur sprocket want to make them both the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked out fine for me, if you get it from a dealer (Not aftermarket), the drive gear comes with the spring, throw it all together with a new clutch drum, sand there you go.

I have a saw with the old style drive train shown in the first diagram. The spur gear (#1) is in pieces and the spring parts damaged as a result. If I change over to the new style, do I need any more than #3 and #4 on the second diagram? IE: does #1 play any role in the clutch and would it even fit the casting for a saw with the older drive? Do I need to swap in the newer drum as well, or would the spring engage OK on the larger slots on the rim of the old drum?

On closer inspection, I answered part of my question. Part #1 (cover) may not be shown on the first diagram, but it is there nevertheless. So I ordered 3, 4 and 25 together with a new bearing (just in case). Hope this works!

Shouldn't make any difference, mine fit fine on the first one I did, haven't had to change over on my other one yet. If you order from a dealer, the gear should come with the spring already attached, at least mine did, so if you wanna save a couple cents, you shouldn't need to order the spring separately.

Also, I don't think I'd bother trying to reuse the old style clutch drum, if the oiler gear is shot, that drum is probably next... If it's actually still good, might be worth something.

I swapped in a new drum too, just in case. The hose was toast, so I tried to install the Stihl oiler hose kit, but that was an exercise in frustration! The "hose" is more like a piece of plastic pipe and won't go round the curves. I ended up using a piece of vacuum line of the appropriate diameter instead. Lots of oil pouring out now!

I swapped in a new drum too, just in case. The hose was toast, so I tried to install the Stihl oiler hose kit, but that was an exercise in frustration! The "hose" is more like a piece of plastic pipe and won't go round the curves. I ended up using a piece of vacuum line of the appropriate diameter instead. Lots of oil pouring out now!
Yup, did the same thing on one of mine hah. Other one is still fine.

If it's a really early 084 they originally came with a rubber oil pump hose going from the oiler up to the bar. These caused problems and dealers would update them to the newer tougher plastic hose. Not likely you have one but I would check to be sure.

That some other poor confused guy would be me. Lol. Thank you!!

The original rubber hose had problems,early in the 084 career it was common for the oil hose to come off one end or burst when the bar hole got plugged,Stihl's fix which was excellent was the tough plastic hose which solved the problem,to install it merely heat the ends with a lighter to make them soft,they push on the fittings easily,then harden up and won't come loose or burst. Easy!

Latest posts

Back