Stihl 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidneycutter

Kidneycutter
Reaction score
newly resurrected saw. Runs great but the clutch seems to be getting too hot - not sure why? The clutch runs free. Needle bearing needs replacing?

Does the chain move when the engine is idling? If so, the clutch springs are probably worn out and allowing the clutch to make contact with the clutch drum.

Also, the chain brake could be rubbing against the clutch drum at all speeds. That generates heat.

I bought new springs for it - they were too small so I stretched them to fit - the original springs/clutch were superseded by a different clutch.The brake band is working fine and the saw idles fine without the chain engaging.

I bought new springs for it - they were too small so I stretched them to fit - the original springs/clutch were superseded by a different clutch.The brake band is working fine and the saw idles fine without the chain engaging.
About the only thing left is the wrong chain oil. Thin chain oil in hot weather will heat up the clutch and possibly burn out the needle bearing. Hot weather can trigger it, but that seems a bit odd for Scotland.

BTW, I've never heard of stretching clutch springs to get them to work correctly. Clutch springs are heat treated steel that's designed not to stretch.

All spring steel by nature is heat treated steel .... and springs are designed to stretch, or it's not a spring.

There is some pre load on the clutch shoes as the gap between the holes would be longer than the spring at rest. This is to stop the shoe from expanding out at idle. If the engagement RPM isn't sky high, then it's probably the right spring.

My guess for the heat would be a missing spacer washer if it has one, or a failed needle bearing.

Keep on ... Runnin" Loads !!

Schoolboy error! Wood was gettin a bit punky causing the bar groove to get furred up and restricting the oil flow.
Anyway she purred through a 4' Beech trunk.

Back