Stihl 08s fuel mixture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mybabybook

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
quick question regarding fuel mixture for Stihl 08s. In manual it says if used with Stihl 2 stroke oil, mix should be 50:1, or 25:1 with other non-stihl branded oil. BUt manual has been released back in the 70's, 80's most probably. How does it look like with nowadays oils? Can I use any brand 2 stroke oil in mixture of 50:1, or it stil, has to be 25:1. As difference is twice much more oil.

If you use a good full synthetic oil, it should be no problem to run 50:1 mixture. Make sure to tune the carburetor to the mixed fuel that you run and everything should be fine. Also if you want to be super careful, make sure that there is not much carbon built up in the engine. Maybe clean it before starting (if you use full synthetic oil). That oil mostly has cleaning detergents in it and carbon built up may come loose. Of course everything on the saw should be alright to get the best running results.

Thanks. To be honest, I am a newbie and really not sure about tune up and clean. Could you tell me how to tune the carb and how do I clean the engine from built up?

Cleaning ist normally only neccessarry if there ist a lot of Carbon built up. Best would be to remove the cylinder to do this. I would use a brush for it, cleaning the exhaust Port and the top of the piston.
With the carburetor tuning. You should know which one ist in your saw. Could be a Zama LA or LB Type or a Tillotson HL series. The model is stamped on the carburetor. The exact tuning process is to much now to write in detail here now.

Latest posts

Back