Stihl 090 parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Selfridge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have seen Stihl 090 saws for sale on ebay that are being sold as new, if I were to purchase one of these saws how available are parts? I think these saws are still in production in Germany but not imported. Thanks, Bruce

Ther still sold hear on the west coast. Just called the 009L
I would not waste any $ on a used one. Or a new one.

The 090 is the granddaddy of them all.
Guys the reason the 090 is not in the states its for two reasons from what I've been told.

Direct drive from crank to drive sprocket so no clutch
And no chain break, Ole uncle sam says we can have guns (i have 4) but we cant control a chainsaw with no break and no clutch. As Mel Gibson said in Braveheart "FREEDOM" where is it

Bruce,

Depends on what your doing with the thing, because the 090 uses brute force to rip the chain through the tree. It’s a slow RPM with LOTS of power to slowly eat through the tree. I have no idea about the power of the saw or the RPM I’m just repeating what I’ve been told. I've also been told you can go to Canada to get the saw so I would think if they can sell the saw there you could find a parts supplier there also. If you get in contact with this guy I'm curious to find out what kind of HORSE POWER that thing has and the weight you have to lug around and possibly the RPM, thanks.

confused

O tundraotto this is STIHL's biggest and this bastard will eat a 3120 for lunch. So that list you had comparing the two manufacturers will have to offset

090 greater than 3120
088 greater than 395
066 greater than 385
etc...

quick pic to of it http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1426327&a=13287712&p=50465965&f=0

GO STIHL or go home

Last edited:
The 090 will outlast a 3120 twice over but a 3120 will cut 10 trees in the time it takes the 090 to cut 5. I have never seen numbers on an 090 but everything I have heard says between 10-12 hp. Not bad for a orange and white heap. They are still made in Germany and Brazil and yes confused is right one must go via Canada for parts. Ken Dunn may have some parts also.

I have several 090 Stihls and will add my 2 cents worth. The 090 is a 66 mm bore and 40 mm stroke. That is approx. 137 cc or 8.36 cubic inches of displacement. The dry weight is 27.7 pounds, without bar and chain. All the ones that I have, or have seen, do have a clutch. It is a large six shoe clutch and heavy duty for sure. I will say almost everything on the 090 is heavy duty. The flywheel vane governor leaves something to be desired and 090s vibrate quite a bit. They respond well to hop up procedures but in stock configuration they will not beat a 3120 Husky. The 090 shines in large wood, long pull situations and will pull a six foot bar. I was told the reason that they are no longer imported to the US was an emissions problem and EPA didn't approve them. The latest version does have a chain brake. I do not know the stock horsepower rating of the 090 but I bet Mike Acres can supply it for us. I have seen my brothers 090 beat several full race Mcculoch kart engines at a lumber jack event. His is highly modified with a pipe and other racing equipment just like the Mccullochs. Mike

Then i was wrong and i stand corrected thank you. Now I know the facts. I was just repeating what someone had told me.

Hello All, I justed used my New 090 for the first time today. It was a Barbarian. I used it with a 59" bar and ripped a big piece of Tulip poplar. It is nice because it is new. It does not have a chainbrake, it has a spring loaded hand gaurd. The clutch is enormous, heck the whole saw is enormous. Nothing cuts like the Homelite 2100. Jonathan

oh confused....

being a stihl fan is great but dont do it blindly...:D

you want to allocate yourself $900
and tell me what saws you get from husky and stihl - and i can guarantee you that the husky will outcut the overpriced stihl. welcome to the real world where the value for money exists. and a 3120xp kicks the butt of ANY chain saw in the world - ever. there simply does not exist a faster cutting stock saw in the world.:p

and about your comparison, how about this one:
3120 beats 017 stihl...

see what im getting at:eek:

Last edited:
Whoa, now wait a minute Tundraotto. I don't think statements like "the fastest in the world" and the like are appropriate. I like Huskys, Stihls and a lot of other saws too but you never know when a saw will come along that will kick butt. My friends and I compete in a few logging contests and on any given day a Husky, Stihl, Solo or even an old Mcculloch may take home top money for the day, in it's class. I will tell you that my 500cc Kawaski chainsaw will beat any 3120 out there but that is not a fair comparision is it? I think Roberts Rotax will cream any 3120 every built but that is not a fair comparision. Well, neither is comparing a 088 to a 395 or an 066 to a 3120 for that matter. My friend Ken Dunn has a fast 3120 but he also has two fast 084s. My brother has a fast 3120 and a fast 084 but when he gets into a race he uses his 090 because it is just a shade faster. There are just too many variables to know which saw will win on a certain day but you can bet that a 3120 won't win every race. I am glad that you have a certain pride for the saws you think are best. There is nothing wrong with that but when you take it to extremes it doesn't make you look all that knowledgeable to me. If you have a 3120 that you think is fast I will be glad to race aganist it if you will come to the West Coast. Mike

sorry - youre absolutely right - what i meant to say was that the husky 3120xp cuts faster than any STOCK chain saw in the world. my apologies to hot saw owners!!:eek:

btw. i did say that in my post too...

Last edited:
Yes the hukys might out cut the Stihls, Out of the box. But just put them to work & see who out lasts Or is still running at the end of the day. Im sorry I will take a Stihl any day.Its a work saw. (BIG DIFFRENCE).I have taken used stihls & won cutting competions for & somtime would out cut hot saws after competions on side bets.

Wow, like who's got te biggest one!! 090 parts are still available thru your Stihl dealer. Debating Huskvarna and Stihl, is like Ford and Chevrolet, there's no real winner.:blob2:

090 stihl running rpm

i have a stihl 090 with 41 inch bar. i am useing it on a alskan saw mill. i am cuting 24 inch oak 3 inches think. boy is it slow saw sounds good but i dont think its not making its full rpm load. and the govern linknge is off. i can run the govern by hand but nothing happens any help out there?

I have a 090

I have a stihl 090 with a 48" and a 36" bar and I use it all of the time. But they are hard to find parts for! So I also use a Husqvarna 3120xp with a 59" bar which is way lighter but the 3120xp is way easier to start. The parts are alot cheaper for the 090 and the chain is also way heavier on the 090. So to compare the two, The 090 is better built but the Husqvarna is lighter and easier to get parts for. So you decide which one you want I use both!!!!

Back