stihl 170 mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I notice the tensioner screw on the small 170 loosens up alot. I have the regular screw type. Is it hard to change
it to a side style....like my old 034.
THe 170 is a fun little saw....starts SO easy..they must have learned some stuff since the 1980s.

The adjuster from a ms250 will fit right in, I did it to my 180, its the same chassis.
got a fleacebay chinga one to prove concept, works a treat, side adjustment for the win.

your welcome.

There are many cheap ones on Ebay...I want one that works...! any links to one that has worked good for you..thanks

I made this mod and I wouldn’t change back. Part number you need is 1123 007 1000 :) easy to do too. I got the genuine stihl part for about 36 dollars Aussi. It’s quite expensive, but worth it as I don’t have 3 arms and a giraffe’s neck to get the other chain tensioner to work to well... all kidding aside, it is more convenient and it just slots in wth a self tapping t27 screw.

I got the 7 dollar item on Ebay. COMPLETE GARBAGE. Pinion is crap,assembly is crap and screw travel is ****.Another piece of chinese crap.
You would think they would care that their products are dogshit 90% of the time.
I told Ebay I want a refund. I'll live with the stock tensioner.

Back