Stihl 170 New Purchaser (Probably) Questions, Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert11

Reaction score
Hi,

Have pretty well narrowed my choice down to a Stihl 170.
But still have a question or two, please:

Dealer wasn't as sharp with this as he probably should be.
Sells too many brands, I expect. All the Stihl links seem a bit contradictory on this:

Anyway, re the 170:

a. Out of the box, does it come with a 16 inch chain standard ? Or,...?
(if a 16" is not standard, make sense to "upgrade" to a 16 inch ? (or perhaps a 14 inch" ?)

b. Is that rotatable knob chain tensioner some of the bigger models available as an option for the 170 ?

c. Make sense to consider a 180 ? Why ? (or a 171 perhaps ?)
Saw will be getting very little use over the year.
Main requirement i think is that it start easily and reliable, even after a long storage.

Great Forum,
Thanks so much for opinions and help.
Bob

If I were you, I'd look hard at a lithium ion battery powered saw. It'll handle what you're wanting to do and save you some potential headache due to the long periods of sitting. Check some videos out on YouTube. I think you'll be surprised.

Hi,

Have pretty well narrowed my choice down to a Stihl 170.
But still have a question or two, please:

Dealer wasn't as sharp with this as he probably should be.
Sells too many brands, I expect. All the Stihl links seem a bit contradictory on this:

Anyway, re the 170:

a. Out of the box, does it come with a 16 inch chain standard ? Or,...?
(if a 16" is not standard, make sense to "upgrade" to a 16 inch ? (or perhaps a 14 inch" ?)

b. Is that rotatable knob chain tensioner some of the bigger models available as an option for the 170 ?

c. Make sense to consider a 180 ? Why ? (or a 171 perhaps ?)
Saw will be getting very little use over the year.
Main requirement i think is that it start easily and reliable, even after a long storage.

Great Forum,
Thanks so much for opinions and help.
Bob
Hello Bob: The Bar for the MS 170 is available in 12" to 16", customer's choice. If the standard bar length is 16" and customer wants a shorter one, it use to be $10 off retail price for each bar size.
as for the rotatable 'Chain Tensioner'; It is an Optional Accessory . Again it's a customer choice with possible add-on cost.

I have a MS170 with 12” and love it for small stuff and limbing on ground. Did a muffler mod and mild porting ( just cause I can) wow if picked up alot. My 170 and 180 are for my ground work after dropping a tree.

If I were you, I'd look hard at a lithium ion battery powered saw. It'll handle what you're wanting to do and save you some potential headache due to the long periods of sitting. Check some videos out on YouTube. I think you'll be surprised.

I think Ed is onto something here.

I havea a stihl 181, and I plan to downgrade to a 14" bar to have more power in the cut.

If you use it infrequently, electric or a sawzall with a tree trimming blade may be better for your needs.

If you are set on a chainsaw, I would consider the echo 490. My guess it is about the same price with a better warranty.

I would also only run the premix fuel if I was you, and run the saw dry every time you put it away.

A saw that just sits becomes a PITA

Have had multiple 170's over the years and recommend then to all that want an occasional saw for annual trimmings and cutting although I use mine year round. I run the 12" bar, less stress on the saw, and have the regular screw head tensioner. Nice easy saw to use and as mentioned, buy the premix fuel as needed, either quart or gallon size as it doesn't go "bad" and gum up the carburetor and as also mentioned. Always fill the oil tank as you use it but only run half tanks of fuel so, when done cutting, you'll be able to run the tank dry so the fuel doesn't sit and gum up the carbs as it sits.

Back