Stihl 192T seems kinda sick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 192T which I recently did some clutch work on and I fired it up for the first time since I got it and the saw seems kinds wimpy. I used to own an 020T and it was a pretty healthy running saw. I've adjusted the carburetor several different ways and although it ran differently it still doesn't seem to have much power. I've had these little Poulan/Craftsman homeowner saws that had much more torque than this thing. Am I expecting too much or do you think something's wrong? I haven't done anything to this saw except the carb adjustment.

I got to looking and can now answer my own question....the MS192T seems a bit sickly because that's how they were made. It is a cheap version of the 200T which isn't sickly. I have an Echo 330T and the Stihl doesn't hold a candle to it...

They don't have much spunk. The same little 30cc engine as the very under-powered MS170.....My Echo 25cc CS2511 has as much or more power. I have one that is still like new and I never touch it especially after getting the little Echo.

I worked on mine today and although I didn't modify it (yet) I did rebuild the carburetor and it runs a whole lot better. I did remove the limiter on the carb H screw, the L screw didn't have one. It doesn't appear that you can modify the muffler very much without cutting it apart so I'll probably just clean it up a little around the exhaust exit..It has around 140 or so compression but while taking the muffler off I did notice some scratches on the piston on the exhaust side. If anybody has a pic of a 192 modified muffler please show it, maybe I'm missing something.

192t has a design flaw that keeps compression low. The exhaust port has an finger that opens about 20 degrees before the actual window. I wish there was a reliable way to fill it.

If your muffler outlet is a large square under the screen, the first part of the muffler mod has been done. IIRC the muffler inlet also has a cage. I cut that out or drill it open a lot.

6 degree advance on the flywheel definitely seems to help.

There is also room for porting both intake and exhaust. I do a little widening on the intake and quite a lot on the exhaust.

With all that they seem to run similar to a 200t, but with even less torque.

It’s worth mentioning that 192t often has base seal issues. Definitely pressure/vac test it. A very very slow leak can rob a lot of power.

After the carb rebuild I haven't had any problems with the starting or running of it, even seems to have adequate power for a little saw. I cut a log in two that was around 15" in diameter, (I think the saw has about a 16" bar) and it didn't have any trouble going through it. I went out and started it this morning with no problem but it seems to be running about a tad rich and I almost flooded it while starting with the choke on, couldn't turn the choke off fast enough but it managed to start fairly quickly.

Back