Stihl 2 in 1 chain sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icedogs28

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2 in 1. This thing is awesome. Cuts sharpening time And gets the chain razor sharp. My question to those who have them.... like many on here, I have saws that run 3/8, .325, and pico.. Can I put different size files in it for all the different size chains I have? Or do I need to buy a different 2 in 1 for each chain size? I put different size Stihl files in it yesterday, seems to work. Just not sure if I'm changing the geometry when it comes do the depth gauge file or the rails. Thanks !

That's my take as well, I have two, one for 3/8 and one for 3/8piccu, but as was pointed out to me on another thread of a similar name the 2 into 1 don't clean out the gullets, it's funny really, I am 52, grew up on a farm, used chainsaws most of my life and it turns out I knew next to nothing about chains and their upkeep, Glad I came across this site, the members here have taught me a great deal in a short time.

That's the only negative with these files. The handles are built to only hold one particular size. Not an adjustable fit. A little spendy to buy different sizes but I love mine.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

It is not a product that interests me (hence have not really examined) but could one get the largest and shim down the smaller round files?
Possibly. Never tried it. I'll have to look a little closer.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Well... I bought the 3/8 two in one. Then I bought just the Stihl files (the ones that fit in the two and one) in .325 and pico. Me being me, I threw in the .325 and sharpened my sp49, then threw in the pico files and sharpened my ms193... Seemed to work. Chain was sharp. I was so busy patting myself on the back for saving $65 that I didn't even think about the the little stuff.. that smaller files may change the position of the rails that slide on the other cutter heads, they change the depth of the flat file. So it may have taken a little extra off my depth gauge. Time will tell. As of now, seems fine. Maybe one day I will shell out for the proper setup.

So basically I have to buy 3, two in one sharpeners for my 3 saws....great. at $42 each, that's gonna be hard to explain to the wife
Not really, show her the picture below
I have this one(with a hydraulic vise about 75-100 more) as well as another without the hydro vise for rakers and a smaller one for 325 and picco :surprised3:.
Oh and a stihl FG2 :laugh:.
Square grinder next :yes:.
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 2.00.05 PM.png

Has anyone had any issues with these not getting the depth gagues down far enough? I'm not sure if it's my technique or the tool, but I feel like there's a problem.
Symptoms are the chain doesn't bite quite as much as it did when new. In fact, the chain seems to bite more as chain speed drops.
Any thoughts?

One of the limitations of the 2-In-1 is the fixed offset. Maybe check your results with a conventional depth gauge tool, and adjust as needed. It may vary with how far back the tooth is sharpened.

Philbert

Check your depth gauges with a proper depth gauge tool or feeler gauge. The 2 in 1 should drop the depth gauges at the same time, but it is not a progressive filing tool. The cutter height is lowered by filing it, and the angle of drop from the cutter to the depth gauge will get less and less.

Easily remedied by filing the depth gauges with a flat file, but don't drop them too much. A few swipes will do it.

That said, I'm still a fan of the 2 in 1.

If you sharpen Oregon's speed cut .325 chain with the 2 in 1 it takes way too much off the depth gauges, it does fine on the normal Oregon 21lpx tho.
I had to remove the depth gauge file to use it on my new speed cut chain, so its not a 2 in 1 anymore lol.
The way the 2 in 1 files the depth gauges, the height of the depth gauges stays the same as the chain wears. If its getting them the right height when the chain's new they're too high when its worn(best case scenario), if they're too low when the chains new (like my chain) then they'll be good when the chain's worn, so the depth gauges will need to be filed by hand at some point of the chains life.

Just picked up a 2 in 1. This thing is awesome. Cuts sharpening time And gets the chain razor sharp. My question to those who have them.... like many on here, I have saws that run 3/8, .325, and pico.. Can I put different size files in it for all the different size chains I have? Or do I need to buy a different 2 in 1 for each chain size? I put different size Stihl files in it yesterday, seems to work. Just not sure if I'm changing the geometry when it comes do the depth gauge file or the rails. Thanks !
Ya need the specific 2 in 1 for each type chain ... it’s a fabulous tool for a quick touch-up on the job !

I completely agree, mine works like a charm. His problem could have been one that I experienced, after using the files on a 25” 3/8 chain the saw cut big chips but the vibration was terrible. As I was filing away I noticed that the rakers were being cut pretty good which surprised me, as this was the first sharpening on the chain. I figured that the cut down rakers were the reason and if I was going to use this tool I better just get used to it.... Until I looked closely at the tool. One of the guides had been incorrectly installed. It was very apparent, once you were looking at it. And it allowed too big of of a cut on the rakers and a screwed up cut on the cutters. I took it apart and corrected the situation, resharpened the chain and like magic the smooth feel returned when the saw was in the wood. He should check his file.

Latest posts

Back