Stihl 2 in 1 file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topesrule

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a stihl 2 in 1 file guide, got the 5.5mm or 7/32 but once home i saw that it's for .404 pitch. I have 3/8 pitch chains. If the file size is right i'm not seeing why the pitch would matter?

7/32 can be used for 3/8 full size or .404. Stihl actually recommends 13/64 size files for their 3/8. But they are only a slight fraction smaller than 7/32. You only have the wrong size if your 3/8 chain is 'Picco/lo profile' 3/8 chain which is the same pitch as 3/8 but smaller chassis/cutter size. What saw is this for?

562xp, it's 3/8 lpx chain I think. Im not familiar at all with Stihl chains. I thought maybe the guide wouldn't rest right on the teeth if it's for .404 but it seems to.

Yea I have as well. I'm not concerned about the file size so much as why the guide says it's for .404 pitch. I can't think any reason why the pitch would matter to a file guide.

The 2-In-One file guide rests on the next tooth forward to adjust the depth gauge height. So if it is designed for a different pitch (tooth height and spacing) chain, you may end up with different results than expected.

Oregon recommends 7/32" diameter file for that chain.

Since it is new, maybe you can take it back and swap it for the correct one.

Philbert

It is resting on the next tooth but not very much of it. I think to get the right 2 in 1 file i'd have to use 13/64 files. Funny that they offer two file guides that are 1/64 different. Seems like they could have consolidated the same size files for the two different pitches.

Maybe i should just take it back and get a normal guide that is made for oregon chains. This 2 in 1 seems pretty snazzy though.

Ya Philbert is right, as these guides are designed to position the file, its not so much about file size its about the guide holding the file in the right position for the designated pitch/chain type. .404 is quite different chain to standard 3/8. I'd return it and get the one you need. 7/32 is the right file size but you want the guide made for 3/8 not .404.

the one for 3/8 comes with 13/64 files. It's not a big deal I guess, just a few more numbers to remember. That small of a change shouldn't effect how the chain sharpens.

Funny. Just checked the US STIHL site, and one of their YouTube videos, they say that they don't make this tool for .404 chain!

Some of the confusion may be that STIHL and Oregon specify different files for 3/8" pitch chain (maybe their cutters are different?).

So go by the file size you want. Or buy the Pferd version in blue.

Philbert

Funny. Just checked the US STIHL site, and one of their YouTube videos, they say that they don't make this tool for .404 chain!

Some of the confusion may be that STIHL and Oregon specify different files for 3/8" pitch chain (maybe their cutters are different?).

So go by the file size you want. Or buy the Pferd version in blue.

Philbert

I'm no chain sharpening expert, but I got the 2 in 1 guide for my 3/8 chains and it does a pretty good job. It's idiot proof for the most part. Takes less than five minutes to sharpen the chain, so I check it after every day I use the saw. 1-2 passes if the cutters are stihl decent, and a couple few more if not. Convenient tool. Use a vise though. Makes it a ton easier.

I'm going to take my .404 back and exchanged it for the 3/8. I've never used 13/64 files but i can't imagine a 1/64 will be noticeable. if i don't like them should be able to swap them out with 7/32 files.

Back