Stihl 2 in 1 file ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They work very well and are relatively simple to use. I may use one when just maintaining sharpness or sharpening moderately dull chains. If it's real dull or hit a rock, I use round file, depth gauge tool, and flat file

Well thanks for your replies !
I stopped at a STIHL Dealer today to check them out, the first guy I talked to asked what size chain I had, told him 3/8 so he hands over the sharpener and says they only have one left and walks away, well yes the package said 3/8 but to me the round files looked way to small, so I ask another guy working there if it was the right file, he looks at and asks what kind of saw I have, as soon as I tell him 562XP he says nope we have been sold out of the 2 in 1 sharpener you need for about a month, he took my name and phone number and said he will call when they come in. I suspect quite a few folks have unknowingly bought the wrong 2 in 1 sharpener.

There have been threads/discussions about that thing before, and there is is no chance at all that thing will work "great", as it is a basically flawed design - but it still my be helpful to some people that don't know anything about filing saw chains (which obviously is the "target group").
That's a little bit of a broad sweeping statement... "no chance"? It does work great for what it was designed. Does it work for all chains? No. Does everyone need one? No. Do you have to agree? No.

The reviews on the Stihl website are all over the place but mostly good, it’s easy to see many don’t have much of a clue about sharpening but that’s ok, it caught my interest and I’d like to give one a try. I’m currently using the Husqvarna roller guide with great results but this new Stihl 2 in 1 just seems like it might be a little easier.

I use the Pferd 2in1 (seems about the same as Stihl 2in1) it does a much better job than I can (currently) do by hand. It is kind of big and clunky. I agree with Andy it is a bit cumbersome so I don't carry it around on me in the woods.

That's a little bit of a broad sweeping statement... "no chance"? It does work great for what it was designed. Does it work for all chains? No. Does everyone need one? No. Do you have to agree? No.

It is what it is = something they want to sell to those who know nothing about proper saw chain filing, without telling what the limitations are (and there are several important ones).

The results never will be anywhere close to good, as it usually is with "wonder gimmicks".

People that accept things like this are likely to never learn how to properly sharpen a chain.

Btw, it really is a Pferd design, and they have a long history of creating such gimmicks.

It is what it is = something they want to sell to those who know nothing about proper saw chain filing, without telling what the limitations are (and there are several important ones).
Like inability to clean out the gullet, inability to adjust raker depth for different wood or even different saws. Those are the important ones that steer me away but I'm just a firewood hack with a chainsaw addiction.

I look at it as a piece of a kit. I don't actually own one - my employer has one that I use. I use it in conjunction with a round file, flat file and depth gauge tool. I don't think it's the end all be all. And yes it is designed mostly for folks that can't round file. But it saves a step when greater attention is not needed

There have been threads/discussions about that thing before, and there is is no chance at all that thing will work "great", as it is a basically flawed design - but it still my be helpful to some people that don't know anything about filing saw chains (which obviously is the "target group").
Very rarely do I disagree with sawrtoll... But I love the 2 in1. I have been sharpening chains for a long time and consider myself pretty good with a file. But this 2 in 1 is great. Gets chains razor sharp and saves alot of time. Plus, it cuts down on the amount of tools I need to carry in the field.

Very rarely do I disagree with sawrtoll... But I love the 2 in1. I have been sharpening chains for a long time and consider myself pretty good with a file. But this 2 in 1 is great. Gets chains razor sharp and saves alot of time. Plus, it cuts down on the amount of tools I need to carry in the field.
It likely doesn't harm much to use it for touch-ups in the field etc. as long as you know the limitations, and the chain is sharpened with more suitable tools before the next cutting session (or often enough in general).
I suspect that this will not be the case with most buyers though.

Indeed it does.

The thing I think you fail to realize Mr SawTroll is many people who say they can sharpen a saw can only sharpen one good enough to get it to cut, they can't truly sharpen one. And many many more can't even do that. I've been utterly amazed how many classes I've taught and had over 3/4 of the class not be able to sharpen a saw. I think here on AS we often take for granted that the general, average chainsaw user knows as much as any of us and has any experience or interest in chainsaws. They don't, by the way. Like I said, are they the best and only tool to get and use? No. But they can help people who can't sharpen a saw to sharpen one, as well as give those of us who can a quick accurate touch up. I've let several people use my saws and afterwards they ask how I sharpen them - like it's wizardry or black magic.

I haven't seen replacement files available for these sharpeners. especially the square flat one that contact the depth gauge rakers. an odd shape file I think. Are they available from stihl or any aftermarkets. Kind of expensive tool if you cant replace the files when dull.

I haven't seen replacement files available for these sharpeners. especially the square flat one that contact the depth gauge rakers. an odd shape file I think. Are they available from stihl or any aftermarkets. Kind of expensive tool if you cant replace the files when dull.
Saw this on Stihl's site in a review:
These files are available for purchase/order from any local servicing STIHL dealer under the part number 0814 252 3001. If the dealer does not have the files in stock, they can order them for you and usually have them delivered to their location within 1-3 days of placing the order.

Pferd is probably easier to find and I believe identical. Bailey's had them for $12-13.
Both the Stihl and Pferd can be found on Amazon with a little looking. Stihl is about 50% more.
The round files should be regular chain files.

Back