Stihl 23 RS chain new style?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just picked up a new Stihl 23 RS (full chisel .325) and it looks considerably different than some older chain of the same series.
The new chain on the left, the old on the right. The old has not been sharpened yet, so a valid comparison. The old style is shorter and wider, I remember being disappointed when I first bought it that it wasn't as long as the 3/8 RS. The new one is labeled for 25 thou cutting depth on the guide, same as the 3/8, no change there. The new chain has a .150 width tooth, the old, .175.
The new style is maybe similar to the Oregon speedcut?

IMG_20200118_150735.jpg

IMG_20200118_150419.jpg

RS Pro is Stihl's new .325 Narrow Kerf chain. Requires a .050 gauge bar though. All of my Stihl's .325 bars are .063. I'd like to try some on my MS261 and MS241, just haven't seen any for sale in the States.

I just picked this up today, I asked for 23rs and this is what was given to me. It might have been a mistake, or maybe that's all they had. In any case, I'm looking forward to trying it out, I didn't know that they just started making it available summer 2019. Would be nice if they kept the original wide tooth style, having the option of choice is always good.

The regular .325 is not being discontinued. Most likely, your dealer didn't realize what he was handing you. I'm just not sure if that new stuff requires a NK bar. Obviously, you can't run a chain that cuts a narrower kerf than the bar width. Stihl is releasing a few light weight 3003 mount bars that are made for this chain...a 14,16, and 18" version, I believe. I think a couple of 3003 are coming as well. I've heard nothing in the States on this either.

Back