Stihl 241C issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So on my 241C when the chainbrake is engaged, while the saw is under load, the saw shuts off after this happens. The saw does not shut down if the chainbrake is engaged while the saw is idling. Could this be an issue with a worn clutch drum or any other ideas about what it could be ?

Did it kick back and you are disappointed that you missed out on an awesome facial scar?

In other words, Im with these guys. Wtf?

Let the saw go to idle before you engage the brake. Always. It's in the manual. The brake is there to stop the chain moving from before it hits your face in the event of kickback. It's not there to slow or stop the chain in normal use. You can also engage the brake while moving around on uneven footing, so if you fall and pull the trigger by accident the saw does not cut your leg off. But you have to let the saw go to idle before you engage the brake. And remember to disengage the brake before you start cutting.

Revving the saw with the brake on will overheat the clutch. The heat can damage the crank seal, oil pump drive, etc. Don't do it.

Let the saw go to idle before you engage the brake. Always. It's in the manual. The brake is there to stop the chain moving from before it hits your face in the event of kickback. It's not there to slow or stop the chain in normal use. You can also engage the brake while moving around on uneven footing, so if you fall and pull the trigger by accident the saw does not cut your leg off. But you have to let the saw go to idle before you engage the brake. And remember to disengage the brake before you start cutting.

Revving the saw with the brake on will overheat the clutch. The heat can damage the crank seal, oil pump drive, etc. Don't do it.

Nailed it.

I just couldnt resist. Ive been running short on smart ass comments lol

I've only had a couple of incidents where my brake engaged while cutting (kick back both times)! If I remember correctly, it killed the engine both times......and I'm very glad that it did! I believe the rapid deceleration of the crankshaft during a high speed application of the brake can sometimes send a shock wave through the saw messing up the air flow and the fuel/air mix just enough to kill it before it can recover. Not a problem at all. And yes, like the others have stated, one should only purposely apply the chain brake with the engine idling. If your idle is a little high and the chain is moving slowly then you can usually apply the brake to stop the chain with no issue at that moment.....but if you let it idle for any length of time with the clutch shoes rubbing the drum it will get HOT....like "damage the saw" kind of hot! If your saw idles nice and slow so that the chain does not move with the brake disengaged...then you can engage the brake and let it idle as long as you want.

Isn't the clutch centrifugal? At idle it is barely engaged and there is very little coupling between the motor and the chain. If you put the brake on, the clutch easily slips. At high speed the clutch is solidly engaged and if you hit the chain brake, the stopped chain stalls the motor, as it is supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It is dying because the high speed side of the carb is not being utilized.The chain brake is stopping the engine from reaching the necessary rpm's to activate the secondary or high speed side of the carb.Gas starvation. There is a small window in the fuel system.The low side is just what it says. For running at the low side of the RPM range.Now the low side is cut off when the vacuum is depleted, and this is where the high side comes into play. Your chain break is obviously closing the door right between the low and high side.This is why the saws is stopping.Try riching up the low side just a bit.Ken

Back