Stihl 261 air filter questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When cutting dry fine dust the filter on the 261 cleans out pretty easy by simply taping it out. I use compressed air and I crank up the pressure, some filters are tough and can easily handle it, others will fall apart. Diluted Simple Green or similar detergent will really get them spotless.

The Outerwears look like they'd stop large chips and work well in wet sticky conditions, can't seem them filtering fine dust. Outerwears website says they only filter to about .005" which basically means it's a rock filter, not one made for dust. 100 micron is considered a large partial . 100microns = 0.00393701" a grain of sand is 0.002460629921" and we know sand is not fine. I bet they work wonders out west and in cold damp conditions.

Stopped greasing par tips long ago, bar oil takes care of that IMHO, not sure what that has to do with filter cleaning though.:)

As for pine pitch/sap - the easiest way to get it off skin is a dab (quarter sized) of olive oil - or veg oil - and rub it in like soap, then wash with Dawn or a degreaser and you'll be clean as new.

Pretty sure it'd work the same on your bar - minus the water/soap rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brake cleaner is pretty much the best product I have used on pine pitch. I too am wary of carcinogens and I normally will use Simple Green or Mr Clean.

I ran my saw for about 5 hours yesterday and the pre filter seemed to catch a lot of really fine stuff. I ended up cleaning it half way through the day and this is how it looked two hours later.
2e4d94d2abfa3855fda0aa95ce29910c.jpg
773e509429ebcd6d34ba44ec02fab9f1.jpg

Back