Stihl 261 vs Stihl 260? Your thoughts...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 346XP is a much better saw that the 260 at the same price. The 261 is a step up but it is an inch longer and a pound heavier than the 346 or 260.

I have run an MS260 Pro on a thinning project where I am cutting 500 or more small willows each day. Maybe more. The saw is cutting right down in the grass and herbs and the tiny little air filter is not up to the task. I pull out the long stringy stuff during the day and wash the filter each night in Purple Power. In comparison my Husqvarna 357XP stays clean for 3-4 days. The 260 is one tough little saw and even though it does shake too much and leaves my hands and wrists sore it rarely breaks down.

I may replace it with an MS261 just because of the lousy air filter. Btw mine runs an 18" Cannon or Stihl Duromatic (hard nose) with 3/8 full skip. I also have been known to use Carlton semi-chisel full comp.

Hello,
For thinning there is just no better saw than the MS 200 or 201 on the market, the low weight and handling, jsut...wow :clap:
I would consider the MS 261 as to heavy. The real replacement for the MS 260 would rather be the MS 241...with the Picco chain it cuts as fast as the 260, is lighter and has all the 261's advantadges. The MS 261 is certainly the best for general use, thogh, nobody will need another saw for for any job unless he is a professional.
That's my impression :msp_biggrin:
Max

imho, the 261 is a lot stronger than 260. The 260 feels like a homeowner saw after cutting with a 261. As mentioned, it is silky smooth.

If the 241 weighs the same or very close to the 261, and I would assume it does, it is a pound or so heavier than the 260.

The 200 might be better for thinning very small stuff, but it is very expensive for such a specialized saw. The TH 200 is great up a tree, but there are better RH options on the ground.

imho, the 261 is a lot stronger than 260. The 260 feels like a homeowner saw after cutting with a 261. As mentioned, it is silky smooth.

But the 260 is a good bit smaller and lighter, so it really comes down to what the saw is being used for. Throw the 346 into the mix and it just screws up the whole picture.;)

If the 241 weighs the same or very close to the 261, and I would assume it does, it is a pound or so heavier than the 260.

Powerhead weight:
MS 241: 4,7 Kg
MS 260: 4,8 Kg
MS 261: 5,2 Kg
convert it into pounds if you want, but what my Stihl catalogue says the MS 241 is about a chocolate bar lighter than the 260 :msp_biggrin:
I don't know what the MS 200 would cost you, but here it's a little bit cheaper than the MS 260. And it's a whole Kg lighter and very aggressive, absolutely no comparison in the engine to the MS 211 i have. Some who use it with the Picco chisel chain say they don't need a saw under 50cc any more :msp_smile:
Max

It's a shame the EPA had to go and mess up a good thing; my 1995 026 easily out-cuts my 2009 260 every time. Modern 260's are so de-tuned it's almost an embarrassment. The power is still in there, though, for those brave enough to let it out. Haven't run a 261 yet, but I have run a 441, and I'm gonna guess from the trend that a 261 will be a good all-around performer with few major problems.

Powerhead weight:
MS 241: 4,7 Kg
MS 260: 4,8 Kg
MS 261: 5,2 Kg
convert it into pounds if you want, but what my Stihl catalogue says the MS 241 is about a chocolate bar lighter than the 260 :msp_biggrin:
I don't know what the MS 200 would cost you, but here it's a little bit cheaper than the MS 260. And it's a whole Kg lighter and very aggressive, absolutely no comparison in the engine to the MS 211 i have. Some who use it with the Picco chisel chain say they don't need a saw under 50cc any more :msp_smile:
Max

Is the 241 built on the same chassis as the 261? If so, one of the two numbers is incorrect. There is no way those saws are more than a couple of ounces different in weight if the difference is only the displacement.

There is no comparison! We were cutting cherry today. Had about 6 24" dia. logs on the bottom of the pile. The 441 had a dull chain from noodling yesterday, so I grabbed the 261.(about 20 tanks of fuel run through). My other guy told me to try his 260 pro that he brought along. I had just filed both chains, so they were sharp. I made 1 cut, with the 260, it went slow. Grabbed the 261,made 1 cut, after seeing that, my guy wouldn,t even try the 261. Finished bucking the rest of the logs, I was even surprised at how smooth the 261 is, and how much more power it had! Then he even commented how little the 441 was being used, since I bought the 261. Buy the 261 with an 18" dar and .325 chain and don't look back! GOOD LUCK

Is the 241 built on the same chassis as the 261? If so, one of the two numbers is incorrect. There is no way those saws are more than a couple of ounces different in weight if the difference is only the displacement.

as far as i know they are not the same chassis :wink2:

I bought a new 260 pro just a few years ago and have 3 026's
I now have a 261, I like the 026/260 saws but like the 261 better.

TT

I own a 261 and it is a great saw. The difference between the paper power output does not tell the whole story. What amazed me with the 261 was the TORQUE. A 50cc saw has no right to have that much torque, although to tune it properly you will have to trim the H tab and richen it up. The filter is also top notch.
My only issue with the 261 compared to say my Dolmar 5100-S (sold yesterday) and my muffler modded Husky 353 is throttle response. The 261 lacks really snappy throttle response for limbing etc and seems to take a while to run down off full throttle. I've tried different tuning methods but all to no avail.
For me this is the ultimate 50cc firewood saw - if limbing only my preference is my Husky 353 which is basically the same as the 346XP.
Here's a video of my 261 with a 20" bar, 3/8" semi chisel chain, in some extremely hard wood. This wood is that dense it won't even float...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fXG38RL7lno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for all the comments!

I have decided that it will be the 261 with a 18" bar.

Thanks again... A great help!

Great choice IMO! When I bought my 346xp I was really struggling between the 261 and the 346. I bet I spent a half hour playing with both of them before I picked the 346. You can't go wrong with either one in my book. I'd have been happy either way. Post some pics when you get it.

I don't know what the MS 200 would cost you, but here it's a little bit cheaper than the MS 260. And it's a whole Kg lighter and very aggressive...
Max

I agree with you that the MS200 is an excellent limber. However, here in Canada its about $100 more than the MS260.

Latest posts

Back