Stihl 290 awesome beast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A timed cut comparing a 460 and a 290??? :monkey:

This thread is completely bonkers. :dizzy:

Tommy Hall, is that you posing there in West VA? :chainsaw:

Or is it your 'banned from AS' son down there in Florida? :greenchainsaw:

Or gypo? Or any of the other banned guys from AS? :givebeer:

:laugh: Definitely someone from Banned Camp. :laugh:

I could speculate as to which one but I think he already gave us a clue.

Hi Gypo

it's all in the name

He truly is an "extra special man"......maybe that "special" part means more than we know :)!!

I went today to buy a new chainsaw.I had my choices narrowed down to a 290 or 460 Stihl.My dealer told me that basically they were the same saw,just the 460 was bigger and would handle the longer bar.He told me the 290 would actually outcut the larger and heavier 460 in seasoned red oak,while the 460 would outcut the 290 in seasoned white oak.Since most of my cutting is seasoned red oak I opted for the 290.MANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is one cutting SOB!!!!!!!!!!Im truly impressed with the blazing chain speed and extremely light weight of this saw.

:clap: Where's Saw Troll when you need him! :hmm3grin2orange: Oh he "saw" it!:cheers: His Dealer told him they are "basically the same saw! :monkey: It's got too be someone from Ban'd Camp :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
gypo was banned?

Could someone also explain to me what the gold stars (novas) are in relation to reputation points? I didn't see anything in the FAQ.

Yah, he is still banned, over flap after a (really bad) photo was posted again, that has floated around AS for some time. The photo is of a nekked logger type with a big Stihl chainsaw... Troll was temporarily banned in the same event, with some other AS'ers.

We call the gold stars "NOVAS" and you get one when you acquire 11500 reputaion points. The green (light and dark) and gold bars also have a specific value of rep points.

I had a 20" on the 460 that I had, but it was complete overkill. I would say 25" minimum for that saw. Heck, I run a 25" on my 361 most of the time here now, unless I am cutting smaller stuff with it, and then I use an 18" or 20", depending.

BTW: I bent up my GB 25" bar (tree leaned back over the saw before I could even get a wedge in there), and I just bent it back into shape. It is like it never was bent at all... the rails held their edges and width. I like those GB Pro-Top bars. They take a beating. :clap:

BTW: I bent up my GB 25" bar (tree leaned back over the saw before I could even get a wedge in there), and I just bent it back into shape. It is like it never was bent at all... the rails held their edges and width. I like those GB Pro-Top bars. They take a beating. :clap:

I had a similar thing happen to my Oregon Power Match Plus bar when a locust that was rotted out at the base sat back. Needing a new bar, I found a 20" GB Pro Top for my Husky 357 at Jack's Small Engine for 33 bucks. I placed the order and expected it to be a typo, but sure enough, billed and shipped at the same price. If they haven't noticed the error by now, I may buy another just to have. Can't wait to try it out. Looks really good.

I had a 20" on the 460 that I had, but it was complete overkill. I would say 25" minimum for that saw. Heck, I run a 25" on my 361 most of the time here now, unless I am cutting smaller stuff with it, and then I use an 18" or 20", depending. .....

:censored: :taped: :taped: :taped:

Last edited:
:censored: :taped: :taped: :taped:

Troll wants to say that an 18 inch bar wood be best on the 361. My 361 came with an 18 inch bar, but it is too small IMO. I rarely run it with that bar any more. I LOVE running it with the 24 inch bar! BTW, on topic here, the 290 ususally has a 20 inch bar. Sucky boat anchor that it is! As it is not the favorite Troll Saw, I assume he would want to see a 16 inch bar on it. I do have one that size for it now... have to find some small trees to use it on.

West coast long bar disease... WCLBD... :notrolls2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back