Stihl 3/8 chain ID for purchasing Pferd 2 in 1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There should be a number on the drive link. That should tell you. Not directly of course, but it'll correspond. Also, the numbers on your bar (provided that it is correctly matched to the chain) will tell you the pitch.

That said, there's about a 99% chance that your 034 is running standard 3/8 chain.

There should be a number on the drive link. That should tell you. Not directly of course, but it'll correspond. Also, the numbers on your bar (provided that it is correctly matched to the chain) will tell you the pitch.

That said, there's about a 99% chance that your 034 is running standard 3/8 chain.
/
Theres a 3 on 1 chain 72 on the other 2, no numbers readable on bars

'3' on drive link (assuming STIHL brand chain) indicates 0.050 gauge chain.

'72' on drive link (assuming Oregon brand chain) indicates full sized 3/8" pitch, 0.050 gauge chain.

*** Different manufacturers use different numerical coding systems. ***

Screen shot 2020-05-22 at 10.18.11 AM.pngOregon Chain ID.png

But, just to confuse things, Oregon recommends a 7/32" diameter file for their 3/8" pitch chain, while STIHL recommends a 13/64" file, so you will have to choose. (EDITED)

Philbert

'3' on drive link (assuming STIHL brand chain) indicates 0.050 gauge chain.

'72' on drive link (assuming Oregon brand chain) indicates full sized 3/8" pitch, 0.050 gauge chain.

Different manufacturers use different numerical coding systems.

View attachment 829827View attachment 829825

But, just to confuse things, Oregon recommends a 7/32" diameter file for their 3/8" pitch chain, while STIHL recommends a 13/64" file, so you will have to choose. The STIHL size 2-in-1 is only available from STIHL dealers, while the 7/32" one is available as a Pferd product from a number of dealers.

Philbert

Philbert
/
I should have posted the 3 and 72 are on the drive links, there's nothing on the cutters, I still don't see how Pferd ( they offer 3 types of 2 in 1 guides for 3/8) expects you to know if your chain is standard,lo pro or thin top plate unless you remember specs when purchasing. Yes it would be easier to just buy new chains but I take pride in the fact that my chains are still in good shape, thanks to all for the quick replies, I'll be contacting Prefd,

I still don't see how Pferd ( they offer 3 types of 2 in 1 guides for 3/8) expects you to know if your chain is standard,lo pro or thin top plate unless you remember specs when purchasing.
Most guys know what size (diameter) of file they use, even if they don't know the pitch / gauge / type of their chain. I am only seeing one model of the 2-in-1 file guide for each diameter of file (*note that Pferd is following the STIHL recommendations for full sized 3/8 pitch - this is different than what I suggested above) :
Screen shot 2020-05-22 at 11.28.57 AM.png

Not really sure why they offer the other models ('Chain Sharp' / CS-MT).

Philbert
https://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/201b010503P.html

I should have posted the 3 and 72 are on the drive links, there's nothing on the cutters, I still don't see how Pferd ( they offer 3 types of 2 in 1 guides for 3/8) expects you to know if your chain is standard,lo pro or thin top plate unless you remember specs when purchasing.

Both types of chain you have are regular 3/8 x .050.

Back