Stihl 310 advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Good evening all. This saw starts just ok, 6 or 7 pulls. Most of my Stihls start with 2 pulls cold, 3 pulls max. Once started, this saw sounds and runs great until I put it to the wood and then it bogs. Compression cold is between 130 and 140. I'm pretty sure this is too low. What do y'all think? Thanks

I was thinking lean too. I richened the top end as much as I could but the limiter needs to be removed. I'd like it to be that simple but was curious about the compression. The saw was nearly cold when I got the 130 reading. Thanks for the tips. It doesn't sound like it has an air leak but I'll check that fuel line.

Would be nice to know a little more. How long has this been going on? Did it suddenly do this or slowly get to this point? Is this saw new for you or did you have it and cut with it a long time? Is this saw a high use? Forget the compression. It is OK there, not perfect but OK.

Would be nice to know a little more. How long has this been going on? Did it suddenly do this or slowly get to this point? Is this saw new for you or did you have it and cut with it a long time? Is this saw a high use? Forget the compression. It is OK there, not perfect but OK.

Thanks for the questions. It's a new to me saw. Looks like it's hardly been used. Duke, I've richened the bottom end to the point of it being too rich. I can only richen the high needle a bit so I need to remove the limiters. Thank you everyone for your input!

Well, I've put a carb kit in and toyed with the adjustments. I should mention that these cars and their adjustments are something I'm proficient at. I'm still not convinced that 130psi cold is sufficient. However, after putting the carb kit in I fired it up today and tried to adjust the carb. The rpms didnt follow with my adjustments so it was obvious that I had a bigger issue. Today, for the first time, it started dripping out of the clutch area. Crank seal ya think?lol

Attachments

• 20190320_133751.jpg
    20190320_133751.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 11
I would have thought so too but its drips like gas or similar thin viscosity fluid. It's very thin, consistency of gas.

Running a saw without cutting, like what your currently doing with carb tuning will pump a lot of oil, and as its not being used in the chain in the cut, it goes everywhere.

Back