stihl 33 rsk chain versus 33 rs chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budwood

Reaction score
I have a printout from 2005 that STIHLDOC posted on these two chains and was wondering if any one has had an experience with either one ( rsk chain vs rs chain ) I have both and have an 031 and ms440 which are only used for about 10 face cords a year.. Also
Stihidoc is not on you site any longer But what he described years ago was that there IS a difference in the width of the cutters and the way they change as you sharpen and reduce the length of the cutter..So my question is does anyone have experience with either of these two chains ?

Just run ‘em if they’re the right pitch & gauge. They’re both round chisel chains and after a few filings there probably won’t be a difference in the cutter. The rakers are a bit different, but it’s not that big of a deal.

Also, this is probably a question that belongs in the “Chainsaw” forum, for future reference.

My bad...ha ha thats what you get from someone who doesnt use this site often...thank you for your reply and suggestion..

From an old catalog I have, it looks like the raker shape is different with one more straight up the other more forward. The "K" is supposedly a more "classic" design.

sawfun.
Thanks for the reply..Old catalogs do some times come in handy..Stihldoc who is not on your board anymore had a lot of good info on those two chains...supposedly the k means klassic ( or classic in American not German ) the k chain supposedly had a little wider cutter that was also more parallel to the bar so as you sharpened it the angle of the cutter in relation to the raker did not change..on the regular RS chain TODAY as you sharpen the cutter and it gets shorter the raker starts to interfere with the cerf..one fellow said he grinds the side of the raker so that doesnt happen BUT he said that leaves the raker kind of sharp...I haven't done any of that although I do have both chains and when I go to sharpen them I will probably look at that...I think Stihldoc said the K cain is the original chain stihl sold as the RS .I now realize that this is not the board to post this (thanks to cat buster) BUT I was wondering anyhow if anybody has had any experience with those two chains..I do not cut wood for a living but I am very particular about my equipment..

Latest posts

Back